Water in the bilge while on the hard

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

Guys : I don't believe that any C34 with a walk-thru transom has scuppers or hoses!!

A thought   :shock:

Ron, Apache #788

KeelsonGraham

2006 Catalina 34 Mk II. Hull No:1752. Engine: M35 BC.

KeelsonGraham

Quote from: Dave Spencer on November 17, 2023, 01:42:27 PM
Keel,
What makes you think you need to replace your scupper hoses?  Mark II C34s don't have scupper hoses.

Mine has scupper hoses! This oddity has been discussed on other forums.

I think they're the source of water in the bilge. Probably rainwater and washdown water seeping through small cracks. I've not actually seen this happen but I have seen water running down from the stern towards the engine bay when the missus is up tops cleaning. Pretty certain its not caused by leaky cockpit lockers. Furthermore, after taping over the scuppers the bilge is now much drier.

The hoses are OEM so now nearly 18 years old. Definitely time to replace them. The problem is, they're probably sized to US measures not metric. Thus very difficult/impossible for me to get here in the UK.

Jim Hardesty

QuoteMine has scupper hoses! This oddity has been discussed on other forums.

Keelsom,
I'm curious.  Where are the scuppers? 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KeelsonGraham

Here ya go. I don't have a photo of the cockpit floor, not something I bother imaging. But this shows the two scupper drain holes in the transom. The drains in the cockpit are in the far aft corners in the gap between the aft lockers and the side benches. I know LA Lady isn't the only MkII to have them!

I guess they're there because of the option to fill the gap in the transom with a solid walled seat. I have it but never use it.

Jim Hardesty

QuoteThe drains in the cockpit are in the far aft corners in the gap between the aft lockers and the side benches. I know LA Lady isn't the only MkII to have them!

That's the way Shamrock is also.  Because the cockpit floor is angled up at the aft corners they see very little water.   The boat needs to be healed over with the rail near the water for water to collect in that area instead of running out the aft.  I've checked the drain lines, the drains go to a T then a single drain line to the stern drain.  Because they aren't below the water line I don't think they are anything but reinforced plastic, 1/2 inch (13mm) I think but could be wrong.  Can probably be checked with mirror or cell phone if you can point it good enough.
Because the drains are high to the main cockpit floor (at least on Shamrock) I don't think much if any water would be getting it to the bilge from there.  I would suspect other areas.  Aft locker lids?  Emergency rudder hatch?  Both have been sources of leaks on Shamrock.
Are you sure the water in the bilge is coming from aft?  My first season with Shamrock was getting water down inside the compression post then to the bilge from the mast.  Cause was drain hole at mast base was plugged with dirt and debris.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

KeelsonGraham

Hi Jim,

Definitely coming from aft, somewhere near the transom. It could be the lockers but my money is on the scuppers.

Ed Shankle

I had to replace one of my cockpit drain hoses this year after noticing I was getting more than the usual amount of water in the bilge. Turns out there was a split in the bottom of the hose just above the thru hull. I'm guessing that debris got clogged in there followed by some rain water in the fall before the cover went on, then froze over the winter, splitting the hose. Our marina has enough trees around the boat winter staging area to be a challenge in the fall. Thought I kept the drains cleared but I guess not. For this years winter prep I put a sleeve of fine mesh screen in each drain hole.
Regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

KeelsonGraham

I'd love to know what the internal diameter of that hose was.

Ed Shankle

Keelson, I'm not 100% sure, but I think it was 1 1/2". It fit easily on the cockpit fitting, but the hull filling was a bear even after after lubing it. If you can find non wire reinforced hose, get that. Would be easier to stretch a bit. Unfortunately, I couldn't find it easily and opted for the wire reinforced so I could get the job done.
Regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

KeelsonGraham

Thank you Ed. I'll look for that here in the UK. I'm also seriously considering blanking off the whole thing. 🤔

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI'm not 100% sure, but I think it was 1 1/2".

I think Ed has a MKl.  MKll are smaller.  At least Shamrock's are.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

KWKloeber

Quote from: KeelsonGraham on November 20, 2023, 10:00:14 AM
I'd love to know what the internal diameter of that hose was.

Mine were 1-5/8" hose and a bear to get on.
They are under no pressure so a slightly loose dry fit is no issue.  As well, grinding off hose barbs (if there are ones on the fittings) is no issue and makes it go easier.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain