Head plumbing

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

I set out to replace the hose for the head intake which runs behind the liner but oddly I could not find out where it is located  before it comes back to the head
I even have a hole cut out behind the head where I am  putting in a small locker and I still could not figure it out
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

waughoo

You might also try taking out the TP holder cabinet as that will open a larger opening to allow access.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Ron Hill

Cliff : Do as Alex suggests as that hose turns and connects to the thru hull!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

crieders

That would be a bigger job than I contemplated
Which thu hull?

BJeansson

Cliff, my hull is #1024 it that helps.
My hose goes through a  hole immediately aft of the head under the sitting area to the through hull. On 1024 it is very easy to follow.

On my boat the venting hose is impossible to trace unless I cut through to create a storage locker above the heat which might be next year after I have more than 2 months into owning the boat. I will PM you the only image I have but can check when I down to the boat in 2 weeks.

Michael Jeansson
1990 MK1.25 #1024 SR/WK M35
Rock Hall, MD
Bo Jeansson
1990 MK 1.25 #1024 TR/WK M35
Rock Hall, MD

Stu Jackson

Cliff,

I find it unusual that you seem to be having a problem with what is essentially three feet of hose from the thru hull under the head sink to the toilet.

Here's where to look:

1.  The manual shows the plumbing as it was originally designed.

2.  These two links show photos of the TWO ENDS of that hose:

Head Replacement 101 - Installation of PHII Head  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3797.0.html

Head Odors 101.1 - "T" into sink drain:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5755.msg38216.html#msg38216

If you have trouble seeing the entire length of the hose, get a mirror and a flashlight.

Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Bob K

Cliff,
On my 1991 that hose does not direct connect the intake to the head.  There is a vented loop in between.   The loop is located in the port lazerette all the way in the back corner.  Need to attach tracer lines to the old hoses as you pull them out so you can pull the new ones through.  Make sure the new hose runsare not overly long and form a loop where they can't be reached.   They will link on you the next year.  Ask me how I know this...😆
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Steve McGill

Bob,

As I understand Cliff's question it had to do with the head intake water line. That should be a direct line from the thru hull to the head, with no vented loop.
The vented loop should be between the pump and the bowl. This is based on my setup per the instructions in my Raritan and other head manuals.

Steve
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Stu Jackson

Cliff,

Steve is correct in his directions.  The vented loop is between the pump and the bowl, NOT on the intake line.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Bob K

Steve,
I understood Cliff's question. On my boat, the vented loop is on the head intake line.  Not sure if it was factory installed or by PO, but it is the only vented loop in the head plumbing, so I suspect factory install.   I understand convention is to place it between the pump and bowl but that is not my setup.  This topic has been debated before, and I recall there were others that had my setup.  It's worked fine for me for 15 years so I'm good with it 👍.  Since my hull # is close to Cliff's, I thought he might have the same setup. 
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

WBev

Bob - on hull 1211 the vent was apparently factory installed between the pump and the bowl.  The PO had removed the hose from the nipples, and put in a white sanitation hose without a vent in it.  I replaced the pump last year (cost effective versus rebuild) and have not re-attached the original vented hose.  Though I always say to myself I will.....
Wobegon II
1992 C-34 MK 1.5
#1211,  Wing/Tall Rig
Universal M35
Magothy River, MD

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Bob K on January 14, 2021, 08:42:21 PM
Steve,
I understood Cliff's question. On my boat, the vented loop is on the head intake line.  Not sure if it was factory installed or by PO, but it is the only vented loop in the head plumbing, so I suspect factory install.   I understand convention is to place it between the pump and bowl but that is not my setup.  This topic has been debated before, and I recall there were others that had my setup.  It's worked fine for me for 15 years so I'm good with it 👍.  Since my hull # is close to Cliff's, I thought he might have the same setup.

Bob, WADR, what you posit (pi !!!:D) goes against the laws of physics. 

Now that I got that little bit o'humor outta the way, could you post a picture of your installation, please?

Because it shouldn't work.

Unless the vent in the loop is clogged.

crieders

bob K and a few others seem to have the same set up. the hose goes from the thru hull to behind the toilet (no problem to follow) and then up to the stern and back to the toilet bowl. I would like to replace it but I assume it does wind up in the corner of the lazarett.

Stu Jackson

Cliff,

When you stop to think bout it, it truly doesn't matter where it goes now.  Really.  Why?  Because the factory plumbing diagrams in the manual are the right way to do it.

Thru hull >>  seacock >> pump inlet >> vented loop >> bowl

I've already given you links to pictures.

Please consider doing it right, just like the toilet manufacturers and Peggie suggest you should.

There is no need to route any hose anywhere else than from the seacock to the toilet pump.

Bob K

Good one, Stu!! 
Well you have me thinking maybe I am mistaken.  I will have to go look at the hoses next time I'm at the boat... which may be a while since it's much nicer to sit by the wood stove this time of year...
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay