Topping lift through masthead sheave

Previous topic - Next topic

wilsonlb

Has anyone rigged their topping lift through their spare masthead sheave?  Any reason not to?

I have the stick out of the boat (for the first time in probably 15 years) and am repainting/rewiring/etc while I have the chance.  I was thinking about running the topping lift through my spare masthead sheave.  I'm not a racer, so weight aloft is not a big issue.  Thoughts?

jentine

Jentine came from catalina that way.
Jim Kane

Stu Jackson

Topping Lift

Larry

You also have the opportunity to diss the topping lift with a Garhauer rigid vang.  If you already have the vang, forget the TL.  If you don't, and if you have the boat units, it's worth considering.  Lots of prior discussions about topping lifts and rigid vangs.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

dave davis

Are you talking about the topping lift for the boom or for the whisker pole? If its the whisker pole, your doing the right thing. Use your spare masthead sheave for a topping lift. You get a much better angle and  much better lifting power. I often use my spare jib halyard for the same reason. Dave

[This message was edited by Dave Davis-707-Wind Dragon-1988-San Fran on September 16, 2003 at 06:49 PM.]
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

wilsonlb

Boom topping lift.

My main concern is that the line will somehow jam in the sheave as the lead angle changes on different points of sail.

Stu - boat units are directed to other projects at the moment.  But the rigid vang is "on the list".