Lightwind sails/setup for Chesapeake

Previous topic - Next topic

Medved

Just purchased 1988 Catalina C34 Tall Rig with Wing keel. Looking for advice for light wind sails and setup for the Chesapeake. Should I invest in a bow sprit, mast modification to run furling Code 0 for example or just get 135-140% Genoa?

glennd3

I have a TR/WK and a 135, works well on the bay for most conditions. Also have  an Asymmetrical for down wind in light air although I do not use it often. Bow sprit I have no idea but at first thought would say not. Welcome to the site, great info here.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

glennd3

What was the name of the boat you bought?
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Medved

What is TR/WK? Still learning sailing terms :) as far as the boat name I am not sure. I did not look.

glennd3

I am sorry, Tall Rig/ Wing Keel. Does your boat have a blue hull? Please set up your profile as it helps the members answer your questions IE name , year of boat, engine type, TR/WK.....
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Ron Hill

Mid & Glenn : Both of you guys need to think about joining Fleet12 Chesapeake Bay.  Contact Dave Schreder @ 703-431-2162 or schr.712@verizon.net

I use a 150 genoa and a cruising spinnaker.  No whisker pole!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Lucas

Quote from: Ron Hill on January 08, 2021, 02:47:58 PM
Mid & Glenn : Both of you guys need to think about joining Fleet12 Chesapeake Bay.  Contact Dave Schreder @ 703-431-2162 or schr.712@verizon.net

A few thoughts

Hi Ron, I have a 140 genoa but no light wind sail. I was thinking about a cruising spinnaker but they aren't cheap and wondered how much I'd use it... Do you use it a fair amount?
Jim Lucas
1999 MKII #1431, M35B, TR/FK 
"Calypso"
Sailing the PNW
Royal Victoria Yacht Club
Victoria, BC Canada

Medved

Quote from: glennd3 on January 08, 2021, 01:54:21 PM
I am sorry, Tall Rig/ Wing Keel. Does your boat have a blue hull? Please set up your profile as it helps the members answer your questions IE name , year of boat, engine type, TR/WK.....

Thank you for the clarification. Once I finish all the paperwork I will do so. For now seller accepted my offer and broker is pulling together the paperwork.

Medved

Quote from: Jim Lucas on January 08, 2021, 03:09:06 PM
Quote from: Ron Hill on January 08, 2021, 02:47:58 PM

A few thoughts

Hi Ron, I have a 140 genoa but no light wind sail. I was thinking about a cruising spinnaker but they aren't cheap and wondered how much I'd use it... Do you use it a fair amount?

Thank you Ron. Do you find it difficult to see to leeward with the genoa fully out?

scgunner

Medved,

Before you commit to some major and expensive changes why don't you sail it for a season or two so you can more accurately determine want you really need or want. C34s are pretty nice sailors right out of the box, you never know you might be happy with the way it's currently set up, the guy you're buying it from was.

As far as the Genoa goes, I've got a 155 full cut deck sweeper that I got when I was racing, I still have it and use, and yes you have to do a little more peeking around the sail but it's not a big deal. If you think it's a problem you can always have the sail cut to provide better leeward visibility, however there will be a cost in performance.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Jim Lucas on January 08, 2021, 03:09:06 PM

Jim,

I think you'll find a tremendous difference between the Chesapeake and sailing in our area.  The C is BIG and WIDE, and one can stay on a single tack for long time.  We simply don't have 30-50 nm of Bay width around here unless you spend your time at the Eastern Entrance of Juan de Fuca all the time.

That said, there have been numerous discussions about jib sizes over the years.  The "old school" was simple: get a genoa to replace the working jib.  The end result was a sail that simply didn't have enough "range" to work properly:  too big as the wind built, didn't work when reefed, too heavy for really light air, etc.

New thoughts about this are covered in this 101 Topic:  Jib Size Selection 101
https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7704.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Bill Shreeves

I have 145 with a shoal draft-std rig and I've been very pleased with it on the upper Chessy.  I had the boat my first year on the Barnegat Bay in Jersey which often gets pretty breezy in the afternoon and i reefed it more while there.  It's maybe 18" above the deck allowing for near distance view but we typically look around it for the big view.  No whisker pole yet.  I'd like to have one in the future.
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Buddy Gold

I have several sails for sale on the parts board you may want to look at..
1992 Cal 34 MK 1.5.   #1202
Universal 35 BC

WBev

I am running with a 155 deck sweeper.  I have to peek around.   If purchasing a new headsail, I would go a little smaller and higher.  My boat was not raced to my knowledge.  When furled a bit, like most other huge genoas, the shape doesn't look great.  However, when sailing in high wind and having to furl a bunch, I am usually not caring too much about that so long as we are not "pumping" the mast or beating the sail.   

Wobegon is TR/WK.  She does not point as close as I would like, but the shallow keel is great on the Ches. and its' many tributaries.  I am on the Magothy River, so Mid-Bay.

Just my (novice sailor) two cents on the Bay.
Wobegon II
1992 C-34 MK 1.5
#1211,  Wing/Tall Rig
Universal M35
Magothy River, MD