Replacing/relocating holding tank

Previous topic - Next topic

LogoFreak

A picture from below and a picture of my boat up on stands. Had the boat lifted and re-blocked higher today, so that I can finally start working on installing the rudder.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

Noah

For that same reason, i.e. holding tank contents is already macerated (chopped-up) by the electric head motor. IMO, you don't need a 1-1/2 hole in the boat. I would consider a reducer from manual Jabsco pump to a 1-inch. or 3/4-inch thru-hull.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

LogoFreak

Original thru hulls beveled and ready for glass. Only had time to bevel them tonight, to cold for epoxy to cure, weekend project.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

LogoFreak

New ball valves arrived today  :D

Sink drain 1 1/4in
Raw water intake for engine 3/4in
Holding tank discharge 1 1/2in
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

waughoo

Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

derekb

I just installed the same 1 1/2 in valve to replace my holding tank outlet, which was leaking. Tru-Design valves are great!
Derek Buckmaster
Esprit, 1986 C34 Mark I #29. Fin keel, Universal M25.
Geelong, Victoria, Australia

LogoFreak

Quote from: derekb on January 21, 2021, 10:06:27 PM
I just installed the same 1 1/2 in valve to replace my holding tank outlet, which was leaking. Tru-Design valves are great!

That's great to hear! First time using them, always preferred bronze thru hulls but decided to give these a try.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

LogoFreak

Quote from: waughoo on January 21, 2021, 09:57:20 PM
Sexy boat parts!!!!

I've spent an obscene amount on sexy parts with this refit, I'm thinking I should start a new thread with the boat project as a whole.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

waughoo

I know what that feels like.  It doesn't seem like much at each transaction, but when I think of what i have bought for the boat so far it becomes rather overwhelming.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

LogoFreak

A drawing of the tank I've envisioned, same capacity as original tank. One inlet, two outlets and vent. I didn't mark them but should be self explanatory.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

Dave Spencer

Hi Logo,
May I recommend adding an inspection port to the top of your tank.  It will be essential to allow you to get your arm in the tank to install the suction pipes to the bottom of the tank for your deck pump-out fitting and to your macerator pump.  If you're using the outboard-most fitting for a suction / outlet port, remember that you'll have a bit of an awkward angle for the suction pipe to run from the fitting to the bottom of the tank.   It looks like all of your ports are quite close to the edges and if you want to install 90 deg fittings, you'll need more clearance to install them once the tank is in place.  I think it will be difficult reaching into that narrow space to connect the large 1 1/2" hose to the outboard fitting.

The through hull valves look fantastic.  Where did you get them?

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

LogoFreak

I was hesitant to add an inspection port, didn't realize the pickup tubes aren't mountable thru the ports. I've emailed a few companies to get quotes for the tank and will ask them about it when I hear back. The two pickups are the ones with a straight shot down, the most outboard is the inlet (built in ramp for mr. hanky :D) and the smaller one is the vent. Once I build the mockup tank I'll figure the exact placement of the ports for ease of maintenance and future work. The drawing was done mostly to visualize the tank itself and get an accurate capacity. The taller I go the volume increases exponentially.

I've been getting everything for my refit from Poco Marine here in Port Coquitlam BC, great place to shop at with very friendly staff, highly recommend them for anyone close enough to order from.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

Stu Jackson

Logo, have you considered consulting with Peggie Hall about your new tank?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

LogoFreak

Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

waughoo

The head mistress!!  She is the expert of all things marine sanitation!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1892399156/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_tVpeGbSG975NF
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte