Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Jon W

I had nothing on either side when I bought the boat. I built my own from ash with a small fiddle shelf between upper and lower levels, LED internal lights, sliding acrylic doors with finger holes, and a small liquor cabinet on the starboard side. Agree you could injure yourself with a finger hole if not careful. I chose being careful, no maintenance, and free.  :D
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

waughoo

Creative solution Jon!  I think the color difference might bother me over time, but I REALLY like the increased storage.  I find the full length sliders to be less than ideal.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Jon W

They are lighter than the ash battens, but the photo makes them look much lighter than they are. I'm a novice at color matching new and old wood, but that's part of the fun eh? They get lots of compliments, and have made a great improvement to the use, look, and feel of the boat. I love 'em. Don't be afraid to try it, you may be more skilled at color matching than me.  :clap

Besides it helps to have secure storage for some things  8)
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

kh3412

Did my panel area with carbon fiber. The slider above is in carbon fiber also if the admiral approves will do the main sliders.
1987 mk1 a work in progress #618

ewengstrom

KH.....ok now that's slick!!!!!! Really like the effect!!! :clap
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

glennd3

Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

crieders

Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

glennd3

Did you remove the teak trim ti install?

Quote from: kh3412 on January 13, 2021, 07:39:59 AM
Did my panel area with carbon fiber. The slider above is in carbon fiber also if the admiral approves will do the main sliders.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Noah

Added bonus that they are bulletproof?!?! :thumb:
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

And fingerprint resistant unlike shiny acrylic or lean.

KH be very careful how quickly you slide those panels, you wouldn't want the caebon-carbon setting up any EMFs to throw off your compass.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

patrice

Hi,

I took mine of and lite sanded one side.
Painted them on this side.  We went with a sunny yellow.
Enlarged and brightened the salon.

When want to go back to original panel, remove and flip them.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

waughoo

Another vote for this being slick!!  Is this a film?  I also noted that you did the same over the electrical panel backing board.  I might have to consider that!
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

kh3412

Quote from: glennd3 on January 13, 2021, 12:39:06 PM
Did you remove the teak trim ti install?

Glenn no did not remove the panels to install. Lift up and a little prying and they came out. made the new ones a tad shorter so they go in easier.
Quote from: waughoo on January 14, 2021, 07:05:43 PM

Another vote for this being slick!!  Is this a film?  I also noted that you did the same over the electrical panel backing board.  I might have to consider that!
This is carbon fiber panels laid up the one for the panels myself and bought the ones for the sliders from McMaster-carr. Don not have a mirror long enough to lay up the sliders so bought the sheet.
1987 mk1 a work in progress #618

glennd3

KH looks like you have a couple dogs!
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland