Sliding Panels

Previous topic - Next topic

glennd3

My PBO had replaced the black panels with a wood panel that was a oakish finish. We did not care for them as they did not match the rest of the salon. I checked here for ideas and the one that I liked was to replace them with teak veneer plywood panels. I looked around and found a teak veneer that had a sticky back that I could cover the old panels. They are thin enough, both the old panel plus the veneer to fit in the grooves in which the panels slide. I know it is blasphemy but I am toying with using cetol on them. I am playing with the remnants to see how they might look. I dont have to make that decision if ever. I attached some photos.   
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

glennd3

More pictures
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

glennd3

more
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

glennd3

Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Noah

Lookin' good. I would consider matte varnish.
I went a another direction: using matching Formica In finish and color as my countertops. I glued two pieces of Formica back-to-back to get thickness. Then reused my existing handles from old plexiglass sliders.
Oops! I forgot to do the small one over chartable. I have Formica leftover, so I'll add it to my "someday" list!😎
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

glennd3

Noah that looks nice. I looked at doing the small panels over the galley but they are white and match the counter tops so I am leaving them alone. What is matte varnish?
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Noah

There are lots of them on the market and pricing varies on source. I like this one. It is what I use on my floorboards. Usually build-up with gloss varnish then use this for last 2 coats.
https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/product/product-detail/4123/1631?gclid=CjwKCAiAxKv_BRBdEiwAyd40N5ySTWZUb1B07GMJlidNlHxROb7HCNgSzlYmJUdr8TVzSBQcha_fQhoC8voQAvD_BwE
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Guys : The dark plastic sliders will break because the opposite slider will hit the other panel and break that handle off with a chunk of slider!

Many of us like Noah have tried to match the interior (he selected the white Formica) while I selected the ash baton strips on the hull side!

You will be amazed how much larger the interior of the salon appears when you lighten it up by removing/changing the dark sliders!!  You also strengthen the handles so no more broken handle ends.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

The mid 80s C-30s went a different direction. No handles to break off, simply a finger hole in each. EasyPeasy.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

waughoo

The finger hole is what my 1991 34 has on the galley and salon.  Interestingly enough, the nav slider still has the handles.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Ron Hill

Guys : FYI, all of the MKI C34 sliders (head, galley and salon) originally came with handles.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Roland Gendreau

I changed my plexiglass panels out with white formica , glued back to back to get the thickness, then eliminated the handles and just have finger holes.   Interior looks larger for sure.

Roland
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

mdidomenico

i've heard finger holes in doors are bad.  in rough water people have had injuries.  i can't confirm or deny.  it is food for thought though, perhaps make sure nothing "important" is behind one.  i've been contemplating putting external latches on all my cabinet doors.  might not be as sleek, but i'd rather have my digits
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

Bill Shreeves

I still have the original black plastic sliders and sure enough, one is broken from the handle hitting the other panel.  I find mine slide very easily without having to use the handles anyway.   I will be replacing the panels and I'll also place small rubber or foam cord etc. in the tracks to keep the doors from sliding far enough to damage the handle.
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

glennd3

I went to the boat and put in a couple of the panels, Cant say I am happy with the color or how the grain of the wood lines up. Both were pointed out to me by my wife and I agree. I am going to put a finish on them either varnish or cetol. If we still dont like it I will start over with Formica or new teak plywood.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland