Those with acrylic ice box shelves, step inside!

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Shreeves

Quote from: waughoo on December 29, 2020, 11:17:02 AM
Quote from: Bill Shreeves on December 29, 2020, 09:56:47 AM
Alex
I made it to the boat this past weekend and brought my acrylic shelves home.  If you want, I can trace them on to paper and mail them to you.

This would be invaluable!  Thanks so much.  I'll PM you with an address.  This will make for much faster mfg and less material spent remaking ;-)

I traced them today on shelving paper.  It's all I had on-hand that was big enough and easy to mail.  I'll get them mailed out to the address you sent as soon as I can.  if it turns out you need them traced on to something more durable, let me know and I see what I can do.
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Jon W

I'm guessing I have the original internal set-up. If true, the recesses are for the coated wire shelves to sit in and not move.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Noah

Jon— Your evaporator unit may be a different brand or model than the standard A/B 150 unit, as it appears to have a top on it which to my knowledge A/B doesn't offer.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

waughoo

Quote from: Jon W on January 01, 2021, 03:35:13 PM
I'm guessing I have the original internal set-up. If true, the recesses are for the coated wire shelves to sit in and not move.

That's what I'm starting to assume the recesses are for.  I'd like to know more about your evaporator.  That thing looks pretty slick?  Is it a proper freezer box with a lid etc?
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Jon W

Are the coated wire shelves original?

I'll have to look to see if I have any documentation on the boat for the brand and details. The unit extends under the countertop. The lid was one piece of plastic with tracks for a hinge, but wasn't installed. I cut the lid to allow it to swing open (you can see the split in the photo), and installed it. All I know is it makes ice cubes.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

waughoo

Quote from: Bill Shreeves on January 01, 2021, 10:12:03 AM
I traced them today on shelving paper.  It's all I had on-hand that was big enough and easy to mail.  I'll get them mailed out to the address you sent as soon as I can.  if it turns out you need them traced on to something more durable, let me know and I see what I can do.

Thanks Bill.  I'll let you know when I get the traces.  I should be able to move the traces onto a more durable template as needed on this end.  The shapes are pretty valuable!  I appreciate it.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Bill Shreeves

Quote from: waughoo on January 01, 2021, 10:01:58 PM
Quote from: Bill Shreeves on January 01, 2021, 10:12:03 AM

Thanks Bill.  I'll let you know when I get the traces.  I should be able to move the traces onto a more durable template as needed on this end.  The shapes are pretty valuable!  I appreciate it.

Put 'em in the mail this morning
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

waughoo

Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Geoffreykwright

Quote from: KWKloeber on December 27, 2020, 12:08:48 PM
Another option.

I've basically done away with the plexi shelves. Instead, I've found a more (IMO) flexible and user-friendly option. I bought several mini size white plastic 'milk crate' boxes that stack nicely. That way I can load small items like butter, horseradish (obviously for morning Bloody Marys,) etc, or like-items (beer vs soda) and keep the box better organized than needing to rearrange or get under a plexi shelf.

They're pretty much open-side and open-bottomed so there's plenty of air flow even when stacked or right next to each other. I find it much more convenient to grab a crate containing, say, condiments, than hunting for small containers that get strewn about the box.

These boxes look BRILLIANT! I hate the fact that whatever I am looking for is always on the bottom of the ice box.  The image is a bit fuzzy - can  you get me the name of the manufacturer and the dimensions of the box please?  (No rush - its January and the boat is on the hard until end of April).  Thanks in advance.
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II Hull 1494 (Built 2000)
Toronto, CANADA

KWKloeber

Hey Geoff

Sterilize is one brand but I imagine there's others as well.
It was so long ago that I }CRS{ where I bought them - Likely a dollar store.  I usually see them in the fall for kids heading to college.

They're like 8-9" on each side is my best guess. Mine are white but they come see in colors and translucent.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mini+milk+crates

-ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jim Hardesty

I think they are Sterilite 16958612 Mini Crate, Clear    Amazon has them by the 12 pack.  I like the idea, may try this spring. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Geoffreykwright

Thanks Ken!

Jim - thanks as well - found them on Amazon.  Definitely going to try this sometime after launch!
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II Hull 1494 (Built 2000)
Toronto, CANADA

Switchback

Here is my solution. I snagged a small sheet of acrylic from Home Depot and cut it size, leaving the inboard side open so I can reach below. I added a lip on the edge to prevent things from sliding off and also stuck on clear rubber stoppers on shelf support lip to stop the entire shelf from sliding around. It's been working really great. Super happy with it!
S/V Switchback

KWKloeber

Switch

A technical question....

I believe I spied the mix, lime, hot sauce, and Worcester sauce. 
But no horseradish for the Bloody Mary's??????
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jim Hardesty

QuoteBut no horseradish for the Bloody Mary's??????

General not a bloody marry guy myself but when I do it's Zing Zang.   :thumb:
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA