Those with acrylic ice box shelves, step inside!

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Photos of shelves and holes.  I removed the odd shaped top shelf that goes around the evaporator, and shows the notch required to clear the thermostat wiring.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

Nice! Thx Stu-  I may copy! BTW-I just now finished removing old fridge unit. It was a PIA removing old copper lines solo. May try and get some help fishing new ones in next week when new unit arrives. I could see an easy possibility of kinking new lines during install!
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

waughoo

Thanks Stu.  I noticed that you dont have the relifed areas in the shelf supports like I do  (See photo).  Note that they are on both layered supports and are only on the aft half of the shelf support.
Anyone have any odea what the were designed in for? 

Note... the boat is still in refit mode and I havent gotten to the ice box compartment yet.  Don't judge me by the filth :-)
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

scgunner

Alex,

My reefer is identical to Stu's and my boat is also a Mk 1, no idea what the additional reliefs are for(I don't have them either) but it looks like an addition to the next Mark boat. Maybe someone with a 1.5 can shed some light.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Noah

My 1990 does HAVE the added dips/notches and wire shelves.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Alex, it simply doesn't matter.  Really.  You have what you have, and I got what I got.  :D  You simply have the flexibility to do what you wanna do.

As an idea (like totally off the top of my head), it could be that Catalina added the extra lip because some fridge evaporators were different sizes.

It still doesn't matter.  :D

I think.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jon W

My 1987 has them. The two coated wire shelves fit into them. The evaporator and thermostat are mounted high on the forward bulkhead. No idea if this is how the fridge came originally or a PO rearranged the layout.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

Another option.

I've basically done away with the plexi shelves. Instead, I've found a more (IMO) flexible and user-friendly option. I bought several mini size white plastic 'milk crate' boxes that stack nicely. That way I can load small items like butter, horseradish (obviously for morning Bloody Marys,) etc, or like-items (beer vs soda) and keep the box better organized than needing to rearrange or get under a plexi shelf.

They're pretty much open-side and open-bottomed so there's plenty of air flow even when stacked or right next to each other. I find it much more convenient to grab a crate containing, say, condiments, than hunting for small containers that get strewn about the box.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

waughoo

Stu... in reality, you are correct.  My goal here is to underatand the original intended design.  Someone put some thought into it so I feel it would be valuable to know what it was all about.  Once I understand it all, then I can either repeat it or improve upon it as I see fit.  The slotted supports seem to be a nice option to install restraining cleats to allow for a shelf to stay put after removing the other.  That is likely what I will do when constructing mine.

The crate idea is also on my list after the shelves.  It might allow for some maintained organization after multiple unpackings.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Ron Hill

Alex : My fridge box structure is the same as yours.   Probably all of the MKI boats (thru 1994) have the same box!!

However, my inside of my fridge is spotless so I can imagine what your engine looks like (gasp!!).

It will take a some "elbow grease", but you can clean all that up!! You might want to check the and recaulk the inside lip of where the fridge box to the underside of the countertop.

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

waughoo

Ron,

You aren't wrong about the engine compartment.  This boat was cherrished by someone for a long time and then it was purchased as a teaching boat in a place where sailing was a novelty.  During that ownership rein, she did not recieve much love.  My refit is mostly focused on recomissioning things and getting it back to cruising form.  It is a bigger project than I was planned for, but I knew that would happen once I got into it.  I'm not good at leaving well enough alone.

Thanks all for the help.  I VERY much appreciate the ideas and information.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Bill Shreeves

Alex
I made it to the boat this past weekend and brought my acrylic shelves home.  If you want, I can trace them on to paper and mail them to you.
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

waughoo

Quote from: Bill Shreeves on December 29, 2020, 09:56:47 AM
Alex
I made it to the boat this past weekend and brought my acrylic shelves home.  If you want, I can trace them on to paper and mail them to you.

This would be invaluable!  Thanks so much.  I'll PM you with an address.  This will make for much faster mfg and less material spent remaking ;-)
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Ron Hill

Alex : If you are going to make clear shelving for your fridge I'd recommend Lexan (polycarbonate).  It is stronger than acrylic and will not crack.  You can probably get by with 1/4" Lexan.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

waughoo

Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte