Those with acrylic ice box shelves, step inside!

Previous topic - Next topic

waughoo

In all but one of the C34s I've been on, they had the closet maid vinyl covered shelves turned upside down being used as shelves in the ice box.  The one exception was an 86 for sale that I came across when shopping for my boat.  It had clear acrylic/plexi glass shelves with holes drilled on a pattern.  When I saw that, I said, now THAT is what I want on my boat.  Now the problem is, how thick is the material, what is the hole spacing and the hole diameter.  Does anyone here (other than Stu Jackson) still have the acrylic shelves and would be willing to get me a few details?

Additionally, In my boat, there is a recess in the shelf support on the aft end of the upper and lower supports.  I'm curious to know if this was/is present in boats with the acrylic shelves and if it plays a significant or pivotal role in how the shelves fit.  I can't quite understand how that might be helpful or useful with the full width (fore and aft) acrylic shelves.

Thanks all for the assistance and I look forward to what you provide.  Photos are always welcome.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Bill Shreeves

My '87 has clear  acrylic shelves with holes in them.  2 upper and 1 lower. with ledges built in to the icebox to support them.  I have no idea if they're original or not but, they work quite well.  I don't know if the ice box is the same on your 91 or not.   I'll be more than happy to get details next time I go to the boat however, I'm not sure when that'll be.  Currently travel restrictions in to Maryland without quarantine or two tests of negative in advance of arriving.
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

KWKloeber

Alex

I have the OEM acrylic shelves in my C30 ice box.  They are 1/4" plexi, but I don't know the hole spacing.  My recollection is they are 1/2" or 3/4". The idea is just whatever you need to get air circulation, so 1/2 or 3/4 should be fine- and spacing depending on the size hole.  I would take out no more than 1/4 of the total surface area with the holes.

If you contact the factory they might have the pattern and a set could magically show up on your doorstep.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

ewengstrom

We bought out 88 C34 last year and there were no shelves in the ice box so I had to improvise. Not liking the wire shelf method since they will eventually rust on the cut ends (if left untreated) I went to Walmart and bought three plastic/acrylic cutting boards. I used cardboard to template the sizes needed and a jigsaw to cut them out. I then lightly sanded the edges to remove the sharp corners. They are approximately 5/16" thick, (maybe a smidgen more) and I wondered if they would be rigid enough for this application but as it turned out they are working great and don't sag at all. We took a 10 day cruise last summer and we loaded that box from bottom to top with no disasters.
To be honest I didn't think of the holes for air circulation and will definitely be adding some, although it seems to cool just fine without them.

Just a thought.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

Oldlaxer1

I have the clear shelves on my '87.  I should be on board tonight or tomorrow and I'll snap some pictures with measurements for you. 
John Novotny
1987 C34 #298

waughoo

Excellent!  Thanks so much for the collection of responses. I appreciate it very much.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Jon W

Good topic. I appreciate the responses too. I have coated wire shelves in my 1987 that I thought were OEM, guess not. Looking forward to seeing the photos of the plexiglass/acrylic shelves.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Ron Hill

Alex : I have 2 white coated wire shelves at are OEM.  A short shelf for the very bottom and a longer mid shelf.

If I were to go to clear plastic I'd use polycarbonate (Lexan), not acrylic.  Lexan is more flexible!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

waughoo

Quote from: Ron Hill on December 23, 2020, 01:24:41 PM
If I were to go to clear plastic I'd use polycarbonate (Lexan), not acrylic.  Lexan is more flexible!!

I will probably select the material based on some additional research.  Lexan is on my research list.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Oldlaxer1

I got pictures but they are too big to post.  Send me a pm with your email and I'll forward them. I'll reduce size and post for the forum when I'm back in the office on Monday
John Novotny
1987 C34 #298

waughoo

Quote from: Oldlaxer1 on December 24, 2020, 06:40:56 AM
Send me a pm with your email and I'll forward them. I'll reduce size and post for the forum when I'm back in the office on Monday

PM sent.  Thanks for the help
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Ron Hill

Alex : I have a small "D" battery fan that circulates the air in the fridge.  I believe wire racks are the best to help that circulation of air!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

waughoo

Ron,

That is likely true.  I just can't stand the wire rack shelves.  I do have one of those ice box fans.  I will likely start with that, but plan to add a computer fan at some point to keep the box air all stirred up.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI have a small "D" battery fan that circulates the air in the fridge.

I've got the plastic shelves, also found that a fan under the freezer helps with frosting and even temps.  Got tired of replacing the blue box type nearly every season

https://www.overtons.com/fridgecool-fan-with-onoff-switch-38134.html

and bought this

https://www.overtons.com/camco-rv-fridge-airator-109170.html

I think the batteries last longer, still to be seen if the reviews are correct and the fan lasts longer. 

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Noah

Here is another fridge fan to add to the "testing" mix. Ordered It to go with my new replacement A/B fridge that I will be installing next week. I will report back On how well/how long this battery operated fan works after activated.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CWVYLQD/ref=cm_sw_r_oth_api_glc_fabc_PJ15FbY8VY45V?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig