Winter in San Diego

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

glennd3

I visited San Diego once and the weather was beautiful!   I like the term marine layer for fog you all use.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Ron Hill

Noah : I've always liked San Diego after being stationed @ Yuma Proving Grounds !!

However, it looks like we need to add covid19 to the earthquakes, fires, mud slides, high cost of living and taxes!   :shock:

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

glennd3

I was going to mention taxes and cost of living but I have no room to talk living in Maryland. The taxes here are forcing people to leave when they retire.

Quote from: Ron Hill on December 21, 2020, 01:36:05 PM
Noah : I've always liked San Diego after being stationed @ Yuma Proving Grounds !!

However, it looks like we need to add copd19 to the earthquakes, fires, mud slides, high cost of living and taxes!   :shock:

A thought
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Noah

Ron, once I untie the lines that other stuff...all goes away. 8)
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

scgunner

Noah,

Actually I can, 77 degrees in Long Beach, CA

Glenn,

The marine layer is a term for a low lying level of clouds, it usually hangs out at around 1500' to 3000' off the ground, occasionally it gets down low enough to fog in Catalina Island's Airport in the Sky which is up in the hills, but from time to time we do get the occasional fog.

Ron,

You don't have the China Virus in your neck of the woods?
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Jon W

Ron, you can add power outages to that list this year too.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

glennd3

We have some marine layer in Maryland this morning!
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

scgunner

I do envy the fact that you up north guys get complete access to the bottom of your boats annually for months at a time, however I'm more than willing to trade that for palm trees.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

glennd3

Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Stu Jackson

Snow yesterday, downed trees, power out until 30 mins. ago.  Brrrrrrrr.  It was balmier in San Francisco.

But, boat still floatin', and that's all that counts.

Merry Xmas to all.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Kyle Ewing

It takes a lot of wind to bring warm air into Chicago in December!  Tomorrow the high temp is supposed to be 16 degrees F.

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Analgesic

I was introduced to sailing during my 5 years stationed  at Camp Pendleton, just north of San Diego '84-'89.  The base recreation department offered a 50 hour learn to sail course for $42 which included the USCG manual and that gave you a card to rent their boats.  I recall a Catalina 22 was rented for about $5 per hour.  And if something broke, you simply wrote it down in the "breakage book" and walked away.  While we were there I was introduced to defense department budgeting.  One day an unexpected delivery of 4 or 5 brand new Catalina 22s arrived.  After some investigation, it turned out that when the originals were purchased, somebody put a depreciation expectation on them and in the base budget was an automatic replacement order that simply happened independent of any obvious oversight!   I do miss the year round sailing now that I live in the land of the 5 month season. 
Brian McPhillips  1988 #584  M25XP

crieders

Where the boat lives in Worton  Creek Maryland, the wind gusts were expected to be 61 mph. In Williamsport Pennsylvania, where  we live, we just dug out of 27 inches of snow, followed by torrential flooding rains along the upper Susquehanna..
Lovely
One of our daughters lives in Israel, where she was saying it was a cool day, 65°. Every Israeli city now along the Mediterranean has a marina packed with Sailboats and they are  building more marinas, because there is a waiting list for slips.
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022