Sail "Patches"

Previous topic - Next topic

sailorgreer

Are the "Mains'l Cover Insignia C-34" from Catalina Direct also suitable to have a sailmaker sew onto the mainsail? They are 22 1/2" tall, so that seems like they would be big enough. Catalina Direct says that if I want an actual C34 mainsail patch, I need to buy the mainsail from them.

Here is the Catalina Direct link to the Mainsail Cover Insignia:

https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-34/sails/mainsl-cover-insignia-c-34/

All thoughts and comments appreciated.

Cheers,

David Greer
Sea Bird
1993 Catalina 34

Noah

CD doesn't make their own sails. Ullman Sails Venture, CA loft does. Should be able to get logo patches from them or any other sailmaker. My mainsail came from North Sails and has C34 logo patches on it.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jim Hardesty

QuoteAre the "Mains'l Cover Insignia C-34" from Catalina Direct also suitable to have a sailmaker sew onto the mainsail?

Simple job for any sailmaker to make a sail insignia.  Sailrite has a how-to video.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Patches

100% untrue. I order my new offshore mainsail from Durtek (Sri Lanka, huge loft making sails for bigger brands) through my local sailmaker.  Way cheaper than CD, and with my local sailmaker to inspect, design and QC the sail. Working with him I customized the reefpoints (very deep second reef), and extra leather hand work on the corners.

Came complete with Catalina 34 logo. Also came with Rutgerson hardware and I ordered it to be compatible with a new Strongtrack luff slide.

After two years of using it as a charter boat 3X/day, 6 days/week, during the season it has held up beautifully.

So, no, any sail loft should be able to ge the C34 logo on the sail.

Patches

sailorgreer

Thanks everyone for your reply. I didn't realize that it's easy for sailmakers to make the patch. I'm overdue to take my mainsail off and have it inspected. When I do, I'll look into having the sailmaker make and install patches.

Cheers,

David

Ron Hill

Guys : My original Main Sail C34 cover patch insignia were VERY fade. The new ones I got from Catalina, I just sewed over the top of the old ones!! Used my old Pfaff sewing machine with V96 thread!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788