Strut Pro Tool

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Griffith

Greetings,
I purchased a 1989 Catalina 34, Haul #972, two years ago.  It is time to change the cutlass bearing which I have already purchased with advice found on this site.  Is there anyone who would be willing to rent their Strut Pro tool for replacing the bearing without removing the prop shaft?  I live in Ann Arbor, Michigan and the boat is on it's winter stand in Port Clinton, Ohio.  I could probably complete the installation and return the tool in about 10 days.  Thank you for your consideration and for all the information and expertise on this site.

Kevin

Colonel Butler

The strut pro works great! Changed my cutlass beating in 40 minutes first time using the tool. The next time, I changed my friend's bearing in 30 minutes. I have one but it is in Canada and I don't want to ship it.
2006 Catalina 34MkII "Calypso"
Hull #1746
Niagara-on-the-Lake Sailing Club
Niagara-on-the-Lake ON Canada

Bill Shreeves

Kevin,
I borrowed a homemade one from a C34.org member a few years ago that worked like a champ.   Not sure if it's still available however, I'll dig up the old correspondence and point your inquiry out to him.  Another route could be the C36 forum.  They have some tools, including one of these, available to members to borrow.  Membership is a very reasonable fee.

I just sent the email and it didn't bounce back so, fingers crossed...
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Patches

Hi Kevin:

Great timing! I just finished using the loaner cutless bearing tool made by Dan who is a member ("Indian Falls") of our group.  He made a terrific tool, and I'm happy to send it on to you.

The way it has worked is that the current borrower (me) mails it to the next borrower (you), and then you reimburse me for the shipping via PayPal or Venmo.

Let me know if this works for you and I will put it in the mail on Monday.

Patches

scgunner

Nice one Colonel Butler,

Yes, I've got and it works really great, but guess what, I'm not going to let you use it!
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Kevin Griffith

Quote from: Patches on December 19, 2020, 04:57:00 PM
Hi Kevin:

Great timing! I just finished using the loaner cutless bearing tool made by Dan who is a member ("Indian Falls") of our group.  He made a terrific tool, and I'm happy to send it on to you.

The way it has worked is that the current borrower (me) mails it to the next borrower (you), and then you reimburse me for the shipping via PayPal or Venmo.

Let me know if this works for you and I will put it in the mail on Monday.

Patches

Thank you Patches, that would be great!  I would be glad to pay the shipping how every it works best for you.  If no one else has need of the tool do I send it back to Dan?  I would need his information.  Any tips you have on using the tool would be great as well. 

Thanks again!

Kevin

Stu recommended that I delete my personal information from the posts and use the PM feature.  I'm not sure what that is or how it works but will try to sort it out to send my address again. 

Stu Jackson

It appears that Patches answered the "what do I do with it after I've finished using it?" question: 
The way it has worked is that the current borrower (me) mails it to the next borrower (you)...

I urge you each to go back and and modify your posts to eliminate your personal information, such as email addresses and physical addresses from your messages.  Please use the pm feature of the forum to send that kind of information to others.   This is just internet forum security stuff 101.  It's for YOUR OWN security.

Anybody looking for the strut pro tool in the future can use the Search feature and find this link by typing in, uhm, strut pro or strut pro tool.  I did that when Kevin first emailed me earlier this week asking if the Association owned one.

Thanks.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Steve Hansen

I'll be checking back early spring as I'll be replacing my cutless as well, Just curious if Strut Pro or home made device is in the Rock Hall Chesapeake area?
Steve Hansen
Georgia Peach 1987 #349
Tall Rig/ Wing Keel
Universal M25XP

Patches

Thanks Stu, Kevin and I have already connected on transfer of the tool to him.

Steve:  Looks like Kevin (next user of the tool) is in Michigan, and he can mail it to you after he's finished with it.  If someone needs it on an expedited basis before you are ready to replace your cutless bearing in the early spring, you can always (1) work out a "send and return" with that person, or (2) let them cut the line in front of you.

Really is a great tool to borrow, since it isn't one of those things you need very often.  And thanks to Dan/"Indian Falls" for fabricating it paying it forward many times over.

Patches

KWKloeber

Does anyone have a picture or vid of it?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Ken : Just go on line to StrutPro and look at their vidio.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Noah, TY!!
Sorta, but CRS.  :shock: :shock:

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Steve Hansen on December 20, 2020, 10:19:33 AM
I'll be checking back early spring as I'll be replacing my cutless as well, Just curious if Strut Pro or home made device is in the Rock Hall Chesapeake area?

Steve, ask Ron Hill, Fleet 12 may have one, don't know for sure.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."