Refrigerator replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

scgunner

Noah,

That install kit is basically; the template, some S/S screws, nylon spacers, and a wad of putty. It's an easy work around if you have problems getting a replacement install kit. It's a little disappointing to hear how your A/B unit arrived, I found the build quality and the packing for shipment to be excellent. Maybe you should shoot Dometic a message just to let them know how your unit arrived.

Glenn,

I'm just curious where you mounted your compressor to make the extension lines necessary?
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

glennd3

Just forward of the STB water tank. Missed it by about a foot or two.

Quote from: scgunner on January 02, 2021, 07:54:53 AM
Noah,

That install kit is basically; the template, some S/S screws, nylon spacers, and a wad of putty. It's an easy work around if you have problems getting a replacement install kit. It's a little disappointing to hear how your A/B unit arrived, I found the build quality and the packing for shipment to be excellent. Maybe you should shoot Dometic a message just to let them know how your unit arrived.

Glenn,

I'm just curious where you mounted your compressor to make the extension lines necessary?
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Noah

Kevin- I believe Glenn's is Not an A/B but a Frigoboat FM 200 which comes with much shorter copper hose set standard and a smaller Danfoss 35 (not 50) compressor.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

scgunner

Noah,

I think it shows they're all basically the same but differ in the details, which can make a big difference when it comes time to install. For anyone getting ready to do this make sure you know what you need and what you're purchasing. The short line units are cheaper than the long run units, but as Glenn found out if you can't reach with a short line unit you'll have to use the extension lines which are pricey and off set any initial savings.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Bill Shreeves

I've decided to go with a Dometic Air Cooled condensing unit and Dometic evaporating unit for my first refrigeration unit because it appears they're extremely popular, well supported and reliable.  Of course, the next choice is which one.

Many on this site mention having the Cold Machine.  From what I find, the smallest Cold Machine CU-100 supports a much larger icebox of 15 cu ft. than the C34 has.  Have most intentionally purchased an over-sized CU-100 condensing unit for greater cooling capacity or, are they more likely referring to the Coolmatic cu-80 series for 8.83 cu ft or cu-50 series for 4.6 cu ft.?

Thanks for any help with this
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Noah

What do you mean by a "Dometic." Adler Barbour was bought out by Dometic and the ColdMachine 100 and 150 are both now "Dometic's". They ColdMachine now only comes with a Danfoss 50. There is a smaller Danfoss 35 but does not come as an Adler Barbour/Dometic configuration (I believe). The ColdMachine 100 set-up may be a bit "overpowered" with the 50 compressor and its matching evaporator, and use a very slight bit more amps running, but it will run for less time to get and keep things cold. Again, I am not an expert by any means , but that is my understanding. One more thing; while I am happy with my new ColdMachine, I did find that Dometic's customer service was subpar. This may be the case with all big manufactures do to the pandemic but...?
Standard Rig

Bill Shreeves

Thanks for the feedback Noah.

Defender shows:
The CU-100 as an "Adler/Barbour ColdMachine Kits by Dometic powered by a SeCOP BD50F compressor
CU-80 series as a  Dometic Coolmatic powered by a Danfoss / SeCOP BD35F
CU-50 Series as a Dometic Coolmatic 50 Series also powered by a Danfoss / SeCOP BD35F

So, however we want to interchange Adler/Barbour and Dometic names along with a Danfoss compressor I'm good with assuming we're still talking the same quality products.  I was most interested in sizing.  If going with a CU-100 will provide better capacity, faster cooling and still run efficiently when temperature is achieved and maybe be less taxed over time for a few more bucks, I'm all for it.   Just looking for what others have experienced on the c34's as some guidance.

Bill Shreeves
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

scgunner

Well I'm not sure if this will clear up or add to the confusion. The original unit in my boat was an Adler Barbour, it came with an instruction booket/manual, on the cover the A/B unit was called the Cold Machine. Some years later A/B was acquired by Dometic, my understanding is everything basically stayed the same with Dometic as the parent company. So essentially your getting an A/B unit like the one which Catalina originally installed in the boat, albeit an improved version.

Bill,

On the question of sizing, the new A/B compressor unit has a slightly smaller footprint the the original, which makes install easy. If you're talking unit size the CU-100 with the CU-150 evaporator is the straight across replacement.

Bill Shreeves

Kevin,
Thanks for the info, it is helpful.  Curious, did Catalina insulated the icebox when they installed refrigeration at the factory?

Bill Shreeves
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

scgunner

Bill,

No Catalina didn't really do much in the way of refrigerator insulation. A number of guys on this board have gone back and upgraded the insulation. The upgrade isn't easy and can get pretty involved but it's definitely worth it. It will require less power to maintain your desired temperature.

This is one of those corners that Catalina cut, like the charging system, sailing gear, among other things. To be fair to Catalina, the idea was to deliver a nice affordable boat that would appeal to a wide range of sailors, I think they achieved that goal. I have no doubt Frank Butler could have built a top notch, fully decked out, blue water cruising boat, but I don't think the price would have appealed to many people.

Noah

I believe the Dometic CoolMatic condenser/compressor "platform"  has a larger physical footprint than the ColdMachine. Something to consider for placement/mounting. And, the ColdMachine evaporator is the only one I found that has a bottom on it, to make it a self-contained freezer unit. Something, also to consider?
Standard Rig

Bill Shreeves

Yeah, thanks for the info guys.  I think I'm pretty much set on the CU-100 ColdMachine Air Cooled with the VD-151 ColdMachine evaporating unit. That one includes a lid for the O-shaped unit.  I intend to install on the Stbd side in front of the water tank like Glennd3 pictured.  I think I'll wait for the Defender Spring Sale to buy them.   I'll go for insulating the box next winter.  I have enough on my plate this year.

Bill Shreeves
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

waughoo

Quote from: Bill Shreeves on February 16, 2021, 08:13:10 PM
I think I'll wait for the Defender Spring Sale to buy them.   

I'm quite new to Defender shopping.  When is this sale you speak of?  I too need to buy a new unit and had planned to buy through them, but can definitely wait a bit.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI'm quite new to Defender shopping.

Go to the Defender web page and sign up for their emails.  They don't overdo sending out emails.  When I was buying more boat parts I signed up for the First Customer or what ever it was called.  Saved me some and was no problem dropping it.  I've never had a problem with Defender and when I've talked with their people found them to be very helpful.

https://www.defender.com/

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

waughoo

Thanks Jim.  I did get onboard with their defender 1st program.  It has been a good source of savings.  Ill check on the email list submission.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte