Refrigerator replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

glennd3

Here is mine , FM 200 under the starboard setae. It keeps the freezer frozen and if I am out for a week I usually through a block of ice in the bottom of the box. unit is very quiet.

Quote from: waughoo on December 13, 2020, 09:36:59 PM
I'm in the same decision making process.  I have an origonal AB from 1991.  It is rusty and has a burned out board.  I could try buying a new board but I think I'd rather spend that money towards a finished working solution.  I plan to go with an air cooled unit though.  Im looking at an Isotherm 2012.  It is sized for a 5.5 cubic foot box.  That SHOULD allow for some room if the ambient air temp in the cabin (where the compressor will go) gets a bit on the high side.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has one.  This decision has me quite anxious as it is moderatly expenaive and will be with me for a long time.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

waughoo

Noah,

Those worked.  Thanks for taking the time to post em'
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

waughoo

Quote from: glennd3 on December 16, 2020, 03:06:15 PM
Here is mine , FM 200 under the starboard setae. It keeps the freezer frozen and if I am out for a week I usually through a block of ice in the bottom of the box. unit is very quiet.

Thanks... this is where i plan to install mine and looks to be about the exact same condensor set up i am looking at (isotherm 2012).  I like that it has the duct so one can actually get the air out rather than just stirring it up.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

scgunner

Bill,

Regarding your question about rapid cycling, by insulating you should get the opposite effect. That is to say the better your cold box is insulated, the fewer times your system will need to cycle to maintain the desired cold temperature, and require fewer amps.

As far as which unit to choose, if you go air cooled I'd say there's not much difference between the Frigoboat, Isotherm, or the A/B. If you go keel or water cooled, while I do find the keel cooled concept interesting, both will require more attention when it comes to install and maintenance.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Bill Shreeves

Thanks Kevin.  A friend has an Isotherm SP on his boat for 6 years and its been trouble free and he loves it.  His was installed by the PO.  That said, I'm not able to find much for reviews from users for them, and haven't found the dislike info Stew referenced from that site either.  So, the lack of user info on them makes me a little uneasy.    How much warm air do the ABs pump in to the saloon when located under the stbd settee like you have which is where I'd like to install whatever I get.

I found this from several years ago which is helpful..  http://www.ventspleen.com/isotherm-sp-asu-fridge-review/
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Analgesic

I've been away from the site a few days so thanks for all the discussion in between.  To Kevin's comment that the Frigoboat is basically the same as the AB, I'm actually considering the keel cooled model, not air or water cooled.  With this, there is no fan but it does require a new 1" through hull.  I was told this creates a much more efficient heat exchange especially since I'm in Massachusetts where the ocean water rarely reaches 70 F.  I suspect this could lead to rapid cooling, therefore shorter cycles and power savings.  The lack of a fan is attractive as I'm a very light sleeper and used to be aware of the fan cycling on and off all night 3 feet from my head in the V-berth.  The down side is that it's almost $1800, double what I'm seeing for a complete Isotherm unit.  I was hoping somebody could report on actual Frigoboat experience although this system may be mainly used on bigger boats than ours.  Brian
Brian McPhillips  1988 #584  M25XP

glennd3

Light sleeper on a boat, Refer may not be the biggest issue. :shock:

Quote from: Analgesic on December 20, 2020, 06:03:09 AM
I've been away from the site a few days so thanks for all the discussion in between.  To Kevin's comment that the Frigoboat is basically the same as the AB, I'm actually considering the keel cooled model, not air or water cooled.  With this, there is no fan but it does require a new 1" through hull.  I was told this creates a much more efficient heat exchange especially since I'm in Massachusetts where the ocean water rarely reaches 70 F.  I suspect this could lead to rapid cooling, therefore shorter cycles and power savings.  The lack of a fan is attractive as I'm a very light sleeper and used to be aware of the fan cycling on and off all night 3 feet from my head in the V-berth.  The down side is that it's almost $1800, double what I'm seeing for a complete Isotherm unit.  I was hoping somebody could report on actual Frigoboat experience although this system may be mainly used on bigger boats than ours.  Brian
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

scgunner

Brian,

The determining factor when it comes to compressor/fan cycling is the temp in the cold box and not what the temp is in the compressor/fan area. In other words the better insulated your cold box is the fewer the times your compressor is going to cycle, which of course will lead to an increase in energy savings.

It sounds like the keel cooler will solve your sleeping problem, but that good nights sleep is going to cost you about $500. If you sleep in the V-berth, it sounds like your compressor is in the starboard settee like Glenn. If the main issue is fan noise you can always stick with a fan unit and just move it to the aft cockpit locker, which is a common location, and save yourself the $500.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Noah

I am about to replace my original AB unit as well. It is in the aft locker and a PIA to troubleshoot or reach back there, but that is the best spot on my boat for it, and where the new one will live as well. The Isotherm is a bit cheaper and has a "better" warranty than A/B (uses same Danfoss 50 compressor as A/B) but it comes with only a short 3ft. long copper tube set, so one would have to source a 15+ ft. set. Isotherm offers a 9 ft. extended set for $200+ additional, but I can't seem to find any that are longer and compatible? Anyone have experience with this issue? I have not yet spoken to Sure Marine in Seattle. I still may go with the new A/B which comes with 15ft.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

karista

Quote from: Noah on December 20, 2020, 08:39:54 AM
I am about to replace my original AB unit as well. It is in the aft locker and a PIA to troubleshoot or reach back there, but that is the best spot on my boat for it, and where the new one will live as well. The Isotherm is a bit cheaper and has a "better" warranty than A/B (uses same Danfoss 50 compressor as A/B) but it comes with only a short 3ft. long copper tube set, so one would have to source a 15+ ft. set. Isotherm offers a 9 ft. extended set for $200+ additional, but I can't seem to find any that are longer and compatible? Anyone have experience with this issue? I have not yet spoken to Sure Marine in Seattle. I still may go with the new A/B which comes with 15ft.
Noah!
When I replaced my original AB unit with a new AB unit, I installed it next to the Propane locker, as that space was somewhat useless any way. Its a perfect place for the AB Compressor as now it is very easy to service vs Catalinas original location which as you said presents a PIA situation for servicing. You have the same Sugar Scoop layout so that would make a better choice than below the platform.
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Noah

Thx B- unfortunately that shelf space is spoken for with the propane and a big-ass Halatron fire extinguisher. I have the aft water tank already "temporarily" removed (again) for some other work back there so I will go with the "deep below" install space again. Hopefully, with a new system installed, I can put the tank back in and close-up the bulkhead and let it live unattended for many years to come. Best laid plans! :abd:
Standard Rig

karista

Quote from: Noah on December 20, 2020, 10:16:13 AM
Thx B- unfortunately that shelf space is spoken for with the propane and a big-ass Halatron fire extinguisher. I have the aft water tank already "temporarily" removed (again) for some other work back there so I will go with the "deep below" install space again. Hopefully, with a new system installed, I can put the tank back in and close-up the bulkhead and let it live unattended for many years to come. Best laid plans! :abd:
It looks like your Propane Tank is in same position as mine, so its the dead space behind the propane tank where I mounted the AB Compressor.
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

scgunner

Noah,

The A/B comes with 15' refrigerant lines and they will reach, barely. This is as long as you mount the evaporator on the aft wall of the cold box and mount the compressor as far forward in the aft locker as possible, inches count here. On my boat this is how it was shipped from the factory, I'm aware on some boats the compressor and evaporator were mounted in different locations. I know mounting it at the bottom of that locker is a pain as far as access for maintenance is concerned, but guess what, it never needs maintenance!

Also, since your aft water tank is already out, I'd recommend doing the compressor install from the aft cabin.

Noah

Kevin-that was my plan, install from below.. Still not easy install but...Bernd, I like your use of that dead space, but I don't think it is a much better/easier place to install, nor access, besides as Kevin says, it makes for a longer tube run. I will noodle on it. I plan to order whatever I buy, A/B or Isotherm this week
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Quote from: scgunner on December 20, 2020, 11:30:53 AM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>..

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>...

I know mounting it at the bottom of that locker is a pain as far as access for maintenance is concerned, but guess what, it never needs maintenance!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

Let's not mislead anybody here.  The unit normally doesn't need any regular maintenance.

BUT, BUT, BUT!!!

You MAY have to replace the fan.

Mine's in the bottom at the back, I've replaced two or three fans in the past 23 years.  I've found 4" computer fans from Radio Shack are $24 instead of A/B's $42.

I replaced the module in 2016, too.  I got it from rParts in Santa Cruz, 4 plug model.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."