interior cushion cover material

Previous topic - Next topic

mdidomenico

two of my interior cushions had the material rip when they went through the wash.  a quick look at sailrite seems to have the same (or very similar) material

https://www.sailrite.com/Sunbrella-40107-0019-Bubble-Mariner-54-Upholstery-Fabric

but i'm less then enthused about the $31/yd price tag.  does anyone know if this fabric pattern is available somewhere else?  i don't believe my existing cushions (which the PO recovered) are sunbrella.  but i also don't know where the PO had it done, so i don't know the source.
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

Ron Hill

mdid : Sunbrella has a lock on their prices.  If you want that particular pattern - bend over and grab your ankles!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Try SB pricing at PerfectFit

sales@perfectfit.com

-k

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

mdidomenico

I guess that's really the question.  Are the interior cushions generally made from sunbrella or is it some other off the shelf material.  I mean my cushions don't feel like the same fabric as say a dodger, so i'm inclined to think it's just generic couch-type fabric.

1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

glennd3

Mdid what is your pattern? I am having new ones made, you can have my old ones. The top cushion is my pattern.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Stu Jackson

Quote from: glennd3 on December 08, 2020, 10:39:31 AM
Mdid what is your pattern? I am having new ones made, you can have my old ones. The top cushion is my pattern.

Glenn and mdid,

mdid's hull # is 856, which makes it a Mark I.  Glenn's is #1053, a Mark 1 1/2.  Some of the Mark 1 1/2's had a different interior layout than the Mark I, as the interiors were slowly evolving into what became the Mark II interiors even though the hull was still a Mark 1 (-1/2).

So I recommend you both check which cushions and confirm dimensions and locations if you choose to bite on the kind offer.

Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

glennd3

Thank you I did not realize there was a change.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

mark_53

Glennd3, I have the same pattern.  If you have the two large aft cabin cushion covers, I would be interested.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: glennd3 on December 08, 2020, 01:31:21 PM
Thank you I did not realize there was a change.

Glenn,  yes, there was a change, certainly between the last Mark 1 and the last Mark 1 1/2.

My point, though, in my last post, was that mdid's #1053 seems to be about midway in the Mark 1 1/2 production run, and could have exactly the same layout down below as a Mark 1.

Or not!   :shock:

Just suggested that you check carefully together.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

glennd3

Quote from: mark_53 on December 08, 2020, 03:00:51 PM

Glennd3, I have the same pattern.  If you have the two large aft cabin cushion covers, I would be interested.

Gave them away last year, sorry. I replaced the berth cushions first.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

patrice

Hi,

I had mine redone by a local shop near platsburg, ny.
It was sunbrella material. Sunbrella make interior material.  Not same as used for dodger.
It is expensive, but it is also very tough.  Water proof.
We went with a lite grey tone.
Worth the expense.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

glennd3

Pictures?

Quote from: patrice on December 13, 2020, 04:28:42 PM
Hi,

I had mine redone by a local shop near platsburg, ny.
It was sunbrella material. Sunbrella make interior material.  Not same as used for dodger.
It is expensive, but it is also very tough.  Water proof.
We went with a lite grey tone.
Worth the expense.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

waughoo

I am curious to know that the interior cushions of the Mk 1s and 1.5s were enough different to not be interchangeable.  It seems to me (on casual observation) that they were all the same over the years of the Mk1s and 1.5s.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Stu Jackson

Alex, consistent with my replies #5 & 8, the way the cushions were made changed, too.  What happened is that on the Mark I access to storage underneath the seat cushions was via covers in the openings themselves with soft bottomed cushions, but later on cushions had the entire bottom of the cushion solid to bridge the holes below, in addition to the minor but important shape changes that were made.

glennd3

Mine haul 1053 has soft bottom cushions, cant speak to cushion shape difference.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland