spartite with CA Direct's ridgid mast boot?

Previous topic - Next topic

waughoo

I'm getting ready to step my mast soon (for the first time in my ownership - came shipped with the mast down).  I have purchased the CA Direct "mostly" rigid mast boot (I like the look and the rigid shape).  I also plan to do the spartite for the partners.  My concern here is will I be able to get the mast boot on high enough to allow for installing of the spartite kit with the inflexible mast boot?  The aft end of the boom has the padeye for the main sheet which I suspect is QUITE close to where the boot sits.  Has anyone else done the spartite kit with the CA direct rigid mast boot?

CA DIRECT boot link for reference:
https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-36/rigging/standing-rigging/spar-fittings/mast-boot-c-34-c-36-keel-stepped-mast/
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Noah

I have used that boot successfully for 5 years. I have oak wedges not Spartite. I also have a Sunbrella cover over the mast boot. In addition, I added a dab of silicone to the sail slot in the mast above the boot and have had no leaks. IMO I would reconsider your Spartite choice, as I don't believe it offers any benefit over traditional wood wedges have heard it is a PIA to deal with when removing mast.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

waughoo

Noah,

Thanks for the reply.  I understand and appreciate the simplicity of the wedges.  I've never liked looking at them from below and I prefer the uniformity of the spartite.  I am mostly concerned about access from above... even to install the wedges from above (so the taper hopefully keeps them in place).  Are you able to lift that collar high enough to get access under it to fit the wedges (or pour the spartite)?  It seems to me that it would be a son of a brisket to fit anything over the deck collar and under the mast boot.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Noah

My wedges go in from above. Are very short, and no issues. Don't see from below.
Standard Rig

waughoo

Ah... that makes sense.  I have a rigid vang bracket and a padeye RIGHT above the mast partner.  This makes it quite difficult to slide the mast boot up as you show in your pictures.  I might need to switch to a tape or "glue in place" option based on my clearance issues.  Anyone else with the padeye for the mainsheet use this mast boot?  I would MUCH prefer to use it if I could as it appears to be a quality fit.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

waughoo

interesting... I see upon closer inspecting that you appear to have a rigid vang/boom kicker as well.  Do you remove all your brackets at the time you step the mast?  If memory serves correctly, my padeye is riveted in rather than screwed.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Noah

I do have a Garhauer ridged vang but it mounts well above boot. My "Vanna White" is about to demonstrate its features ... :D
Standard Rig

waughoo

Much clearer now... especially with Vanna!

I'm at the boat today and here is a photo of mine.  The white silicon sealant in the track is about where the top of the boot sits when in situ.  I still dont see how you got your boot so high with the lower vang attachment.  It seems like you have the boot well above that spot in a couple of other photos.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Ron Hill

Waug : My pad eye was held inplace inside the mainsail track with with screws.  Look closely, as yours might also be held inplace with screws.

BTW, nice deck software!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Sorry to mislead you Alex. I bolted on the vang AFTER my mast was stepped. Ron, my wife says thx! :D
Standard Rig

waughoo

Funny Ron... i thought you were talking about my Garhauer rigod vang.  Then I remembered Noah's picture of "Vannah" and I knew for sure it wasn't my deck hardware you were talking about :-)

My padeye is held in with rivits after it was slid into the mast track.  I will probably switch to a wrap around set up as even mast wedges would be tricky with the lack of clearance.  Im dissapoinyed though as that boot seemed like SUCH a great way to keep the water above deck!
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

TortolaTim

Noah, where did you get that Sunbrella  cover for the mast  base? Did you make it? If so, I'd love some details please!
Additionally, I have Spartite on my mast installed by a PO and it works pretty well. It was a "little" hassle re-installing the mast, but not too bad at all. Is it any better than wood wedges? I can't say.
Tim Callico
1989 C34 #957
M25XP
St Johns, FL

scgunner

Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273