New Halyard advice

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy Gold

I have searched the threads on replacing the Main sail and Spinnaker Halyards and most are quite old.  The way technology changes, I am looking for some more up to date advice on line replacement.

I am also looking for the best place to purchase lines as well as Winch covers with splits. I don't want to end up with some cheap Chinese crap.

92 C34 MK 1.5

1992 Cal 34 MK 1.5.   #1202
Universal 35 BC

glennd3

Buddy,  Defender.com tends to be competitive for most stuff. I believe halyards have been covered well on this site, from type of line to size. I replaced mine last year and was more concerned about the size as it effects ease of raising. You may want to complete your signature info. your location, TR.... it may enable others to help you find products locally.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Jeff Kaplan

Buddy,

I replaced old halyards with 7/16" lines. The specs show 3/8", but I like the feel and strength of the 7/16" lines. Don't know where your from, but I got my lines from a company, R&W rope in New Bedford,Ma. Excellent customer service, quality rope and good prices. AS far as the winch covers, Defender or WM.
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Oldlaxer1

John Novotny
1987 C34 #298

Buddy Gold

Quote from: glennd3 on December 04, 2020, 07:58:58 AM
Buddy,  Defender.com tends to be competitive for most stuff. I believe halyards have been covered well on this site, from type of line to size. I replaced mine last year and was more concerned about the size as it effects ease of raising. You may want to complete your signature info. your location, TR.... it may enable others to help you find products locally.

Yes they have been covered well, but as I stated the information was dated and I was looking for an update.
Universal 35 BC

Buddy Gold

Quote from: Oldlaxer1 on December 04, 2020, 12:07:42 PM
I'll second the R&W Rope
https://rwrope.com/

It's been a while since I have been up that way.  I hope Antonio's Restaurant is still in business.
Universal 35 BC

Catalina007

Staset 7/16  which is fine if you aren't a serious racer
West Marine has it at $1.32
Defender price is $0.95!

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Catalina007 on December 04, 2020, 08:05:51 PM
Staset 7/16  which is fine if you aren't a serious racer
West Marine has it at $1.32
Defender price is $0.95!

Good comparative pricing results.  Thanks.

I installed StaSet (regular, NOT StaySetX) on my halyards in 2003.  They are both still there and wearing fine.

I am a believer in the motto: "There should be no difference in sail set between racers and cruisers.  One should attempt to sail as efficiently possible whenever you're using your sails." 

I found the significant stretch of the StaySet main halyard unacceptable.  Enough that I would NOT recommend it for any skipper.

If you're going to replace your halyards, and you choose to NOT apply more "exotic" weaves, then please look into products by other vendors like Samson, for your main halyard.

StaySet has many other uses to which it is perfectly fine.  All the rest of my running rigging is StaySet.  Great for sheets and even jib halyards which even with furling and/or reefing systems adjust halyards reasonably regularly.

Just not for main halyards.

Your boat, your choice.  :D

StaySetX should be banned from the universe.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Kyle Ewing

You might consider talking to a local rigger.  I found the line choices to be overwhelming and the rigger I used took the time to make recommendations on where to be price sensitive.  I've been happy with his recommendations.  I don't think the price overall was that much more than online and we'll worth it for the service I received.  It also helps to maintain a relationship for when you need his services in a hurry.  BTW my local rigger's price for lifelines was similar to online, too.

In my case I went went with something basic (Stayset or similar) for spinnaker and genoa halyards and low stretch for main.  I have eye splices at the ends to help with pulling through.  He also added 2-3' of cover bulk at the clutch because I was worried about slippage.

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

MarcZ

After bit of the research I purchased New England V-100 for my halyards (from APS in Annapolis -sadly out of business now)

You can still find nicely put together and still relevant APS line selection guides on the waybackmachine

https://web.archive.org/web/20171017005805mp_/http://www.apsltd.com/line-resources#ClubRacing

In my case only problem I encountered with the upgrade was my Garhauer rope clutch performance when introduced to  V-100  (I tried both garhauer models).

Nautos XR clutch solved this problem and I'm very happy with both.
93 C34 Mk 1.5 #1258 TR WK M35
Upper Chesapeake

WBev

On my 1992 TR I put 120' of 3/8" stay set X on in September. I put on so I felt better going up the mast to pull down the wireless wind anemometer. The very low stretch is great for the main halyard.  I don't notice it on the others. It is very slippery.  The slippage is bad through the original rope clutches.  The outer shell is fuzzy from end to end already.  I don't recommend this rope for anything going through a clutch.  It is fine on my Schaefer roller furler, even with the fuzziness.
I went with 3/8 because the manual called for it.  I have run into issues up-sizing before, so I stuck with the manual this time. 
I tied halyard hitches onto the shackles. Easy, no wait for splicing. 
120' is longer than called for, but as applied it is not too long.  It allows me to put the halyard down to the cabin grab rail or a stanchion to prevent slap when not sailing, and about 10' to play with as it ages.
I followed an APS video I watched a few years ago when replacing the halyards on my Pearson.  Very easy.  In a nut shell, sew the two lines butted together and then a single thickness of tape.  I used electrical, but APS said sail or rigging tape.  Took about 15 minutes each halyard, including sewing.  It is easier if you tape the two lines before sewing. 
I will likely replace the main halyard this spring, when I put the new wireless wind instrument on the mast.   
Wobegon II
1992 C-34 MK 1.5
#1211,  Wing/Tall Rig
Universal M35
Magothy River, MD

wingman

I've got to replace main and jib halyards too.

My rigger recommended NER Viper as a "performance" cruiser alternative with low stretch with an XHMPE core and braided polyester cover.

Anyone have any experience with Viper?

Right now at WM, sta set x is $1.79, Viper is 1.89. At Defender, Viper is 2.59. Hamilton's rope deal for Viper is about $1/ft but they don't have the longer lengths yet.
2000 MkII, wing keel, #1471

glennd3

Viper is 1.29 at defender for 5/16

Quote from: wingman on December 07, 2020, 08:37:44 AM
I've got to replace main and jib halyards too.

My rigger recommended NER Viper as a "performance" cruiser alternative with low stretch with an XHMPE core and braided polyester cover.

Anyone have any experience with Viper?

Right now at WM, sta set x is $1.79, Viper is 1.89. At Defender, Viper is 2.59. Hamilton's rope deal for Viper is about $1/ft but they don't have the longer lengths yet.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Buddy Gold

WM is having a sale on line 25% off I think until Christmas.   I went with the OEM line from Catalina direct.
Universal 35 BC

wingman

Quote from: wingman on December 07, 2020, 08:37:44 AM

Meant to specify that those prices are for 3/8"
2000 MkII, wing keel, #1471