Preferred packing material for new Stuffing Box?

Previous topic - Next topic

Patches

Because I decided to upgrade my drive train with a new stuffing box instead of going to a PSS-type shaft seal, I need to decide on the packing material.  Given the points made by Maine Sail about ABYC and prop shaft manufacturers advising against graphite impregnated packing material (e.g., GFO, GTU), what do other owners recommend?

I'm leaning towards the Tefpack product from Western Pacific vs. PTFE impregnated flax.  Your thoughts appreciated!

Patches

Noah

Patches:?Can you please link to or explain MaineSails and ABYC,s concerns about GTU? This is what I have been using for many years and it has been working great for me. Almost totally dripless and no scoring or corrosion issues with shaft (that I am aware of, anyway).
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Patches

Hi Noah:

Sure, here it is:

https://marinehowto.com/re-packing-a-traditional-stuffing-box/

Looks to be a later amendment to the original article.  Like many others, I pay attention when Rod take the time to point something out.  I thought it interesting, because it is not widely discussed on the inter webs other than the reference I saw on Rod's website.  He appears careful to warn of possible corrosion, while also acknowledging that the graphite impregnated making materials appear to have worked well for people.  On this forum, most of our members have been swearing by the performance of the GTO/GTU packing materials.

Patches

Update:

I ended up doing a 180 and decided to go with a PSS dripless shaft seal.  After dry fitting the new Buck Algonguin stuffing box, and then the PSS, I decided to go with the PSS. I had plenty of room after deciding on a split vs. flexible coupler.  And with my Fisheries Supply discount it wasn't that bad in terms of price.  I also bought the stainless shaft retention collar, and the HY-vent air/water vent as recommended by Rod.

FYI, I purchased the new Buck Algonquin stuffing box in the 1 3/4" ID size.  After 30 years on the original, I thought I would just replace the whole thing.  They come in 1 1/2" and 1 3/4".  Our shaft logs are 1 5/8", so I emailed BA and asked which would be the better fit, and they recommended the 1 3/4" size.  It went on pretty loose.  I think I'll clean up the old stuffing box and replace the 1 5/8" hose to keep as a spare.

Patches

wingman

Quote from: Patches on December 10, 2020, 06:47:27 AM
Update:

I ended up doing a 180 and decided to go with a PSS dripless shaft seal. 

Don't forget to burp it after you splash!

We've had the PSS for six years with no issues and are about to do the 6-year scheduled maintenance.
2000 MkII, wing keel, #1471

Breakin Away

Quote from: Patches on December 10, 2020, 06:47:27 AM
...FYI, I purchased the new Buck Algonquin stuffing box in the 1 3/4" ID size.  After 30 years on the original, I thought I would just replace the whole thing.  They come in 1 1/2" and 1 3/4".  Our shaft logs are 1 5/8", so I emailed BA and asked which would be the better fit, and they recommended the 1 3/4" size.  It went on pretty loose...
I'm currently dealing with a stuffing box issue on a different thread. It would help my future decision making if you answer the following question: Why didn't you buy a 1 5/8" stuffing box to properly fit the shaft log? I'd think that this would be a critical dimension that you need to match, but I also know there must have been a reason why you didn't do this. It would help me to know what you were thinking (even though I realize you ultimately abandoned this approach and went with PSS).

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Noah

I am still a fan of GTU with my SS shaft. No (visible) corrosion issues and virtually no drips.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Patches : I've used the Gore dripless packing for the past 25 years and have never had a packing problem!!!

I like a dry bilge!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Patches

Breakin':  I don't remember why I didn't get a 1 5/8" but likely because it was hard to find in that size.

Patches 

scgunner

Been using flax packing since I got the boat (45 years ago) seems to work OK.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273