Access in forward cabin sole

Previous topic - Next topic

LogoFreak

Has anyone opened up the sole in the forward cabin? I'd like to install my new dst-810 in the location just forward of the bulkhead. I'm pretty sure there's enough clearance but I can't see what's under that floor, any stringers?
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

LogoFreak

Currently both my water speed and depth transducers live under the forward settee. Great place for storage but both senders are at risk of being damaged and they don't make storing anything there easy. Also when pulling the water speed transducer that space fills with water and it doesn't have a way to drain.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

LogoFreak

Did some exploring on my own, enlarged a couple of holes that were there to stick a flashlight into and have a look thru the other one. No stringers in the way. I'll be cutting open an access panel and mounting my transducer in that spot. There's about 7 or 8 inches of depth in that spot, so plenty of clearance for the transducer.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

Jon W

Be careful mounting anything in that area. Remember the lift strap when you get hauled out is slung there.

FWIW - A few years ago I removed that original two transducer set-up and replaced them with the Airmar DST800 in the same locker under the forward salon seat. I plugged the outboard hole and mounted the DST800 in a modified inboard hole. To protect the transducer, I built a box out of thin plywood to cover the transducer so it doesn't get damaged when I store stuff in there. The box is removable, and has a strap to store the plug when I want to remove the transducer for cleaning. My locker has a small drain hole in the aft corner that drains the water into the bilge. Don't know if that was original or a PO added it.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

LogoFreak

I hear ya, but they will put the straps where I tell them or there's hell to pay! When they lifted my boat out of the water this time the forward strap was right over the existing transducers...
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

Phil Spicer

The PO had transducers installed about 2 feet forward of your location. That put them in the forward locker.
Plenty of room when you pull for cleaning. A hinged top box around the transducers protects them. You wouldn't have to cut your floor.

Just another view
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

waughoo

My main concern with that spot is access if there is a problem or a leak.  You cant directly see or access them there without taking the cabin floor out just to check. 
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

LogoFreak

The dead rise is pretty steep in that location, also under the right conditions I suspect the transducer might be out of the water in that spot. I prefer going under the floor.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

LogoFreak

Quote from: waughoo on November 29, 2020, 08:18:14 PM
My main concern with that spot is access if there is a problem or a leak.  You cant directly see or access them there without taking the cabin floor out just to check.

Just noticed your boat is pretty close to mine in serial number  :clap
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

waughoo

Indeed it is!!! I hadnt seen that till you pointed it out just now.  I get pretty excited spotting close hull numbers to mine.  I was reading through past posts on here and found someone with the NEXT hull in line.  Additionally ive found at least one post of my hull's previous owner on here.  Pretty fun!
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Stu Jackson

Logo,   I can't think of a worse location for a transducer than where you propose to put it.  Access would be horrible - removing that floorboard is one of the least favorable things I've had to do on my boat.  We have ours under the berth, just forward of the vertical fiberglass wall.  My PO put a microwave under the galley sink and left me the drawer that used to be there, which I put under the V berth giving me excellent access.  If you don't have such access, then make some.  I think you will be very disappointed if you do what you think will work.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

My triducer is under the main saloon settee forward cushion/compartment just forward and starboard of mast. That compartment holds my autopilot rate compass and thru-dull for my saltwater anchor washdown pump so no metal storage in that locker. Very easy to get to to pull speedo triducer in and out.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

glennd3

Logo mine are located exactly where you want to put yours. I have the floor boards out of the boat being refinished at home. I would be more than happy to take pictures for you except I will not be down to the boat for a couple of days. I did not mount them there'PO" did. I have gotten good at taking out that floor board to clean the knot meter transducer. I can also measure the depth between the floor and bottom. Let me know if you can wait a couple of days.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Noah

If you put it there I would suggest you build a removable hatch/insert in the floorboards as IMO it will get "very old" unscrewing floor boards after awhile. I leave my triducer out with the dummy plug inStalled and insert and remove it before/after each sail or cruise.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Guys : It would seem to me that that forward of the mast (Vberth) would be a lousy location not only for access, but for correct data. 

Too much of an angle from vertical!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788