loose stern anchor clean

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

Thanks to 55 kt winds, the stern anchor cleat is now a bit loose
I want to repair it with a backing plate but I want to be sure that I do it the correct way since it is so important. I assume the studs are part of the cleat; so would folks get an entirely new cleat, drill new holes etc?
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

KWKloeber

Quote from: crieders on November 24, 2020, 06:51:53 AM

drill new holes etc?

Cliff Are you saying the holes are damaged, elongated, or...?
All thru holes should be properly epoxy potted, countersunk, and sealed according to the method/article that Mainesail aka RC aka Compass Marine aka Rod Collins shows on his website.  This would fix an oversized hole.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

No, Cliff, the BOLTS are separate from the cleats.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

crieders

i don't know yet what is damaged; just that there is some motion in the cleat.
I intend to get into the stern locker and look soon
I assume the thru bolts damaged the hole, working it a big loose as a result of the strong winds.

scgunner

Cliff,

Until you take it apart you'll only be able to speculate on the proper course of action.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

crieders

i assume that access is from the stern locker? I was just trying to anticipate weather I would need to drill new holes or re bed the old ones like with stanchions
will see for sure!

Ron Hill

Cliff : I hope you have a small wiry friend who can get into that stern locker - to hold those nuts while you back out those bolts!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788