polished stainless steel vs anodized aluminum blocks

Previous topic - Next topic

wingman

I'm replacing original equipment mainsheet blocks this winter and Garhauer offers polished stainless steel or unibody anodized aluminum replacement blocks for about the same price. I'll admit I like the look of the anodized aluminum but if I go that route am I giving up any strength and longevity?

They are both rated at 3000lbs swl and I don't think weight is really a consideration. I notice the equivalent Harken aluminum block is about 60% the weight of the Garhauer aluminum and twice the price.
2000 MkII, wing keel, #1471

scgunner

Wingman,

You'll be fine which ever you choose, but for me when given the choice I always go stainless steel and I've never been sorry, as we say around here, your boat, your choice.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

wingman

Just received new Garhauer 50 series anodized aluminum mainsheet blocks, early Christmas :santa.

They look good but I notice that the sheave diameter on the new blocks is about 1/4" smaller than original blocks (3" v 3.25").

Anyone care to speculate if I am going to notice any difference with slightly smaller sheaves?

2000 MkII, wing keel, #1471

glennd3

I am waiting on a set from them to come. I will let you know what I get them. Also have the traveler upgrade coming.\

Quote from: wingman on December 17, 2020, 02:50:01 PM
Just received new Garhauer 50 series anodized aluminum mainsheet blocks, early Christmas :santa.

They look good but I notice that the sheave diameter on the new blocks is about 1/4" smaller than original blocks (3" v 3.25").

Anyone care to speculate if I am going to notice any difference with slightly smaller sheaves?
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Ron Hill

Wing : You didn't mention it, but the anodized blocks MUST be cheaper.  That's what I'd go for as they are the same strength!!

I replaced all of the single blocks w/ball bearings, but kept the original double block!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

ewengstrom

We did the traveler upgrade a couple of months ago, but since I was ready to pickle the boat I haven't installed it yet. The new ball bearing traveler comes on a small section of track and WOW is there a huge difference with how easily the traveler moves on the track. With the old traveler you to help the car along when making any changes to it's position on the track, now it will take virtually no effort at all to adjust. Since I'm also building a new dodger I had Garhauer replace the cleats on the end blocks with a vertical turning block to direct the line straight down, then I'll mount another turning block at the base of the track riser to direct the line straight back thru the bottom edge of the dodger instead of right thru the window itself, the line will terminate in a new rope clutch under said dodger.
Garhauer made this change at no additional cost. Guido at Garhauer is as good to work with as everyone says he is....Gotta love and support a home grown company with fantastic products at a good price and outstanding customer service.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

waughoo

I just bought a traveler upgrade as well (with dodger turning block upgrade).  I believe mine was already uodated, however I found the outer bock packs were bent towards the middle.  I suspect there were a few sever accidental gybes in this boat's past.  I look forward to getting the new kit.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

waughoo

For anyone interested, here is what the traveler upgrade kit from Garhauer looks like.  This one is set up with the dodger modification replacing the cam cleat with a turning block.  It also has the tripple bale traveler to allow for a single fair lead each  instead of the combined block (though I won't likely use that feature).  I will now have a spare slightly tweaked traveler upgrade kit available.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte