1986 C34 Mast Configuration

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

I'm doing a research project and would appreciate your help.

The challenge is to find the 1986 hull number when Catalina changed from the original deck stepped mast to the keel stepped version.

Historically, we have been led to understand that the change occurred in 1987.  However, our boat, #224, with hull number CTYP0224F686, which means it was "born" in June 1986, has a keel stepped mast.

For those of you with Good Old Boats from 1986, please let us know what kind you have and what your hull number and month are, and perhaps we can add another bit of folklore to the many chapters in this Great Book of C34s.

Thanks,  Stu
Catalina 34 International Secretary
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Gary Wilson

Mine is #138 with keel stepped mast.  I am not certain about whether it has a wood insole.

dave davis

You probably know this, #8 owned by Chris Owen -"Mottley" is stepped on the deck.
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

mvazmina

We have #27 with a deck stepped mast

Tom P, IMPULSE #233, '86

As of today, I'm the proud new owner of a 1986 Catalina 34...The mast is keel stepped; hull number 233, built June '86...

cajenson

I have # 40 (FreeBird) deck stepped

malgase

Number 91.  Keel Stepped

Michael

Dave Veenhuis

Who can explain this?
I have #104 and it is deck stepped.

kenkillian

Our Puff is #19 and of course is deck stepped.

malgase

Stu,

I looked a little closer at my serial number, CTYP0091L586.  Now I am not sure how to decode the number, but I expect the "L" has meaning.  

Per your comments, the boat would be "born" in May of 1986, which is plausible, because the original sale from the dealer to the first owner was on 5/31/86 in upstate New York.  This would indicate the boats get serialized a the end of the production line, not at the beginning.

My guess is that they had two different configurations on the line at the same time.  Any chance Keel vs. Deck stepped was an option on the early boats?  That would explain why some low numbers are deck stepped and some higher numbers are keel stepped . . .

Just a thought.
 :confused:

Michael

Jim Rose

Maybe this will help.  I have an original Catalina 34 order form dated 11/10/85.  Listed under Rigging was option F 36 02 Deck Stepped Mast in Lieu of Keel Stepped Mast.  $185.00.  
Deluxe Boat with Complete Standard Equipment. $45,995.00.
What's this on factory-equipped Shaefer Boom Furler, as on CARINA (1587)?  I have Mast Furling on OASIS and that works great.

malgase

Well, Jim Rose answered the "options" question.  

My next one is whether we really believe they built over 100 boats between May and June of 1986.  "Tranquilizer" is hull #91 in May (CTYP0091L586), and "Aquavite" is #224 in June (CTYP0224F586).  I know they ramped up fast, but that would be remarkable!  The letter has to reflect something. . .

Michael

bobmack

My boat is # 52, is deck stepped, and was built in Oct. of 85. The letter is the month of the year built.

Aquakon

Oh my God!  Catalina Yachts' been RAKING IN THE DOUGH over the years, huh?

Al Qaeda-cide

Rumours of my Death Persist