Getting a Rocna or Manson anchor stuck and anchor weight question

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyle Ewing

I'm shopping for a new anchor to replace my 22# Bruce this off-season and am wondering how likely a new generation (Rocna or Manson) anchor will get stuck compared to a Bruce or Danforth.  Does the extra holding power mean greater risk of not being able to break it free and losing my investment?  I anchor in mud or sand. 

I plan to upsize from 22# to 35# as many here recommend but don't have a windless.  I tell myself it'll be okay since I have no problem pulling up the 22# anchor today and the difference is less than the weight of two gallons of water.  Any other considerations that may make me reconsider anchor size?

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Kyle Ewing on November 20, 2020, 04:23:44 PM
I'm shopping for a new anchor to replace my 22# Bruce this off-season and am wondering how likely a new generation (Rocna or Manson) anchor will get stuck compared to a Bruce or Danforth.  Does the extra holding power mean greater risk of not being able to break it free and losing my investment?  I anchor in mud or sand. 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Kyle, You WANT your anchor to get stuck.  The alternative is not good.  In the Anchoring 101 Topics there is a discussion of just this phenomenon.   The new gen anchors will literally pull you off the foredeck when they properly set compred to old style anchors which first drag and the hopefully finally set.  This is a GOOD THING.

However, like all anchors when only vertical pull is applied, they do come up.  Always.

I have had my Rocna since 2007.  Never a problem coming up.  Except when it catches underground telephone cables or other crud its found on the bottom.  Two months ago it was a big bunch of twisted heavy metal - have no idea how it got there, something like from heavy farming fencing.  Go figger...

The investment you are trying to maintain is your boat, not the anchor.  Better holding means more consistent confidence in that priority.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Kyle Ewing

Thanks, Stu.  Your statement about always coming up when vertical pull is applied is the reassurance I'm looking for! 

I'm used to slowly coming to a stop when backing down and watching for awhile before being confident that the anchor is set.  I'm sure the difference with a new anchor will be night and day!

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago

Kyle Ewing

UPDATE:  I added a 35# Mantus M1 with 50' of 1/4" HT chain and anchored out for 6 nights (three solo) on a recent two week cruise.  The weight wasn't an issue for me.  It was noticeably heavier but nothing I couldn't handle.  It came up with vertical pull each time as Stu described.  Twice I had to motor over the anchor to pull it up due to wind, but it came up.

The only time it did not set was in heavy weeds.  We moved to deeper water (fewer weeds) then it set fine. 

One night I misjudged the wind and woke up to 15-20 knots of wind over open water for a few hours.  The boat stayed exactly where she was supposed to.

I'm very happy with the results!  With the added confidence of the new anchor I'd now much rather anchor out than stay in a marina.
Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago

Jon W

FWIW - If anybody's considering getting a new anchor, or changing from your existing anchor there is a YouTube channel worth checking out. It's called SV Panape, he's not sponsored. He must have tested 20 different anchors with initial set, reset, veer test, etc, and compares results. He rigs up underwater cameras so you can see what's happening.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Ron Hill

Kyle : You want to have the boat break out the anchor.  That means the anchor is really set!!   

The only weight that you are lifting (after break out) is the weight of the anchor plus the weight (length from the bottom) of the chain!!

Now with 50' of chain you'll probably want to get some kind of anchor washer - chain really get dirty if you are in a mud bottom.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

waughoo

I also just upgraded to a 35# mantus M1 with 90' of G4 and 250' of 8 plait nylon.  Two nights ago was my first test and the holding and setting was noteably improved.  Weighing was my concern and we were in about 30' of water.  I did NOT feel any issue what so ever lifting it.  It was indeed heavy, but not excessive.  I am a VERY happy camper.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte