Passing of Frank Butler

Previous topic - Next topic

Sue Clancy

Just saw the news that President and Chief Executive Officer of Catalina Yachts, passed away November 15, 2020

https://www.catalinayachts.com/frank-w-butler/
Sue and Brian Clancy
Former owners - 1987 C34 Mk I #272
Home Port - Westbrook, CT

waughoo

This is sad news.  What a legacy he created.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

sselinger

A sad day. I have talked with Frank several times during my ownership of Cat 22, Cat 27, and currently a Cat 34. Was a great guy to talk sailboats with.

My condolences to his family and the Catalina Boat Company.
Steve Selinger
Aquila #1047

Stu Jackson

We met at a Catalina Rendezvous on Angel Island on San Francisco Bay in the late 90s.  Great guy, wonderful legacy, he will be missed.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

All : Frank was a great person. He had a rule in the late 80s that if a Catalina owner call in with a question - it would be answered by either him or Gerry THAT same day!!  Talked to him a number of times.  Always hoped that it would be Gerry that called back, but got Frank a number of times!

Once I showed Gerry Franks' card with his tel.# that Frank had given me - and told me to call him if I ever had a problem. A surprised Gerry told me that Frank seldom gave out that private line # - because it was saved for his lawyer!!  I never used it.

A great inventor and a master in production. 

A few thoughts   :cry4`

Ron, Apache #788

Ted Pounds

He will be missed.  I spoke with him a couple of times when dealing with swing keel issues on our C25.  He was definitely customer focused. 
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Roc

He was an amazing guy.  Met him a few times at boat shows.  Funny story....  one night the phone rang and my wife answered.  She brings the phone to me and says there's a guy on the phone wants to talk to you.  I said, who is it.  She said, "I don't know, he says his name is Frank Butler"...  I said "FRANK BUTLER...  HE'S THE OWNER OF CATALINA YACHTS!!" Yes, it was Frank himself that called me about a warranty question.  Unbelievable!
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

scgunner

A true visionary, RIP Frank, you will be missed.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273