fuel pump specs

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Catalina007 on November 24, 2020, 01:49:29 PM
Speaking of fuel pumps, do you think mine is about due for a change?

Could be.  Looks like mine, from my Winter 2020 Mainsheet tech note:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ekutney

Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Ekutney

Pic of my 1986 fuel pump.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Catalina007

Yes. The boat is new to us and we are replacing everything but there may have been a
Saltwater event years ago.  But everything is running well. Except for slow cranking.

Anyway I think this is a case of information overload. I've read everything.

Do I buy the $90 exact replacement? Or the $40 generic pump?

scgunner

Guys,

I'd replace those pumps on looks alone. I'd spend the extra 50 bucks and get the Facet, we know they're practically bulletproof, can you say the same for the generic?
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Ron Hill

Guys : I hate to say it, but if my pump looked like most of those posted - I think I'd cry!!   :cry4`

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI'd replace those pumps on looks alone. I'd spend the extra 50 bucks and get the Facet, we know they're practically bulletproof, can you say the same for the generic?

Quoteif my pump looked like most of those posted - I think I'd cry!!

If the pump was working, I'd call it patina.  And carry a spare.  Enough to do on a boat without replacing good parts. 
Just my opinion.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

scgunner

Jim,

You're boat, you're choice.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

KWKloeber

Quote from: Jeff Kaplan on November 18, 2020, 02:10:22 PM

hoping there would be an application chart, but not.

There is - for auto engine mfgrs but not for our diesels.

[edit] - another source for a Facet pumps at reasonable cost is Aircraft Spruce (although they are not approved for aircraft use.  Go figure.)

I neglected to paste the models w/ shut-off valves:
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp?GroupID=FACETSHUTOFF
[end edit]

Here's the skinny on Facets for our engines.  ANY of them will work and are way sufficient for our tiny diesels. The ratings are there (psi/gph) because they are important for 400 HP industrial Diesel engines and for gas burners, NOT our tiny engines.  If you want to verify what I am saying, reach out to Mainesail aka Compass Marine aka RC aka Rod Collins.

The lowest delivery on any of these models is sufficient- but some models (such as the x59E) are easier to locate or are less expensive.  So just find the least-cost model. If I was building a polishing system I'd pick the highest gph, but for fuel supply it's irrelevant to our engines.

https://www.facet-purolator.com/tech-information/

Additionally the numerical P/Ns are the pump alone (e.g. 476459E) and ones with FEP (e.g. FEP59SV) are a complete kit (that kit has the x59E pump,) which you don't need because you'll reuse your hose barbs, etc.)  So, buy whichever you find is least cost. 

BTW, the "E" means electronic (no contacts as are in our older cylinder Facets.)

BTW2, Rod says the Facet cube pumps are better than the cylinders (I don't know why - don't shoot the messenger) and are less expensive.

BTW3, if owners w/ "A" and "B" series engines use one of the Facet pumps with a "positive shut-off valve" the low-oil-pressure shut down will work correctly (fuel won't siphon thru the pump.)  I'm referring to the valve above, NOT the check valve in Facet pumps.

BTW4, BEWARE of Scamazon and eBait and Wish and other sites w/ sellers that advertise replacement Facet Gold-Flow "type" pumps, that might even show a Facet picture.  They are knockoffs if the word "type" is stuck in the description.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

scgunner

I've used a number of Facet square and cylinder pumps on cars and boat over the years, since I've never had one fail, I'll just have to take your word(or Rod's) that the square one is better.

BTW, shooting the messenger is a good way to send a message of your own.

Ron Hill

Kevin : I checked with the Facet engineers and the square facet pumps are the same, but lack the screen that their cylindrical pumps have. If you mount the square pump after the Racor like we all recommend, then it doesn't make any difference.

I believe that the M35BC engines only come with the square pump?? like the M25XPB engines do!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Ron Hill

Guys : Some might call it "Patina" - I call it neglect!! 

My thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ron Hill on November 29, 2020, 02:40:07 PM

I believe that the M35BC engines only come with the square pump?? like the M25XPB engines do!!

Ron, some early engines with the convoluted oil pressure system had the cylinder pumps - they would have all been the "A" engines (eg, 35A, XPA) that were produced after JHW bought Oshkosh.  All the "B"s have cubes.  Whether any of the "A"s that have a cylinder pump made it into 34s - I dunno.

What I don't know is if the cubes that Wb used had/have the positive shut off valve??? (It would make sense using those w/ the low oil pressure shut off.). When shut off will your cube siphon fuel?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: KWKloeber on December 01, 2020, 06:22:30 PM

>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

What I don't know is if the cubes that Wb used had/have the positive shut off valve??? (It would make sense using those w/ the low oil pressure shut off.). When shut off will your cube siphon fuel?

If the Racor 224 series primary filter housings were used, wouldn't the filter housing itself provide backflow prevention that in the ball check valve?  Which would negate the need to have that feature in the pump.

I recognize that not all C34s came with those filters and that other model Racor filter housings and the housings from other manufacturers who may have been used, didn't necessarily come with those check valves in their housings.

And I don't know if the round Facet pumps pictured in this thread had built-in check valves either.  I never dissected the two I've replaced, wouldn't know what to look for if I did.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Quote from: Stu Jackson on December 01, 2020, 09:55:19 PM
Quote from: KWKloeber on December 01, 2020, 06:22:30 PM

>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If the Racor 224 series primary filter housings were used, wouldn't the filter housing itself provide backflow prevention that in the ball check valve?  Which would negate the need to have that feature in the pump.

Stu

I tried — but failed!! — to make it clear that I'm referring to pumps with a positive shut off valve, not the check valve (which prevents gravity or siphoning flow back to the tank.). The positive shut off prevents flow to the engine (ie, as when when the low oil pressure safety feature on the A and B engines activates.) 

BTW, clicking on each product listed on the link I posted tells whether it has the PSOV feature.