fuel pump specs

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Kaplan

Towards the end of sailing season, I no longer heard the clicking sound that the fuel pump makes, which makes me believe that it has or will shortly, fail. In my 16 years of owner ship, I have not changed the pump. I read that a Facet pump was original, but I've seen a NAPA replacement mentioned. Looking for the replacement pump #  for the M25 engine. Thanks....Jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

KWKloeber

Jeff

Go on the tech wiki- I previously posted replacement model numbers and a source that seemed (at the time) to have a good price.

Mean time between failure on the original Facet pumps approaches 30 years.

-k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

scgunner

Jeff,

Facet builds a pretty reliable product, for cars as well as boats, I've been happy with both. However if you're concerned you should address that concern. I was in the same boat(pun intended), my Facet was about 15yrs old and while it worked fine I wondered about it, so even though it was working fine I replaced it with a new Facet and carry the old one as a spare. It was more a peace of mind thing than an actual problem, you'll have to make that call yourself.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Ron Hill

Jeff : I found that the best way to check if the Facet pump is working is to feel it - the pulses are distinctive.
Look at WiKi or remove your pump and go to a NAPA auto parts store and say "Same Same" !!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jeff Kaplan

Thanks to all.  The boat is buttoned up for the winter and I am recovering from knee replacement surgery, so this will wait till spring.  Before removing, I'll check to see if I can feel any vibrations from the pump, if not, off to NAPA I will go.

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Stu : That was brilliant!!  I'd never thought of Amazon.  Jeff I believe that Amazon is the way to go!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jeff Kaplan

Stu, I spoke to Paul at Facet the other day hoping there would be an application chart, but not. I mentioned that I wont be to the boat till spring and once on, I'll get the info off the pump and he will tell  me the correct one to use. I will then check on Amazon. Looks like it depends on PSI and flow rate. Happy holidays to all.

Ron Hill

Jeff : The pump that Stu has in his Amazon post will easily work on your small engine.  After all even if your pump is NOT working the engine will run because the fuel will gravity feed!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jeff Kaplan

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Jeff Kaplan on November 18, 2020, 02:10:22 PM
Stu, I spoke to Paul at Facet the other day hoping there would be an application chart, but not. I mentioned that I wont be to the boat till spring and once on, I'll get the info off the pump and he will tell  me the correct one to use. I will then check on Amazon. Looks like it depends on PSI and flow rate. Happy holidays to all.

Jeff,

There simply ISN'T any information on the pump.  Zip, zilch, nada.

What I recommend you do is go look on Amazon for Facet fuel pumps.  Then, take a look at the specs for them.  Most will be in the range of psi, lift (they used to be called fuel lift pumps because many fuel tanks were below the engines, both on boats and cars/trucks) and GPH that will be adequate for our engines.  This is because they are fuel pumps that are used in a variety of applications where the pump is reasonably close to the engines they serve.  After all, they are used in cars and trucks, mostly. 

Here's how I tracked down what is recommended (on this website and forum):

1.  Go to the 101 Topics, this:
Electric Fuel Pumps 101 http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=2515.0

2.  Read that and in Reply #11 there is this link:
C34 Owner Greg Sherwood, Imi Loa #582, recently needed to replace his (most likely) OEM fuel pump. ... Here it is:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,2515.15.html

3.  That link gets you to this text:
...new faucet interrupter pumps that should be in by the end of the week. .8-6psi, 24" dry lift, no locking valves or positive shut off, 32 gallon per hour capacity, 1/8" female pipe threads.

You have to buy the hose barbs to screw into the holes in the pump to fit your fuel hose, which is 3/8" for the fuel supply.

The pumps have a RANGE of psi.  It really matters little, because the pump supplies from the Racor primary filter to the secondary engine mounted filter and then to the injector pump which increases that pressure significantly anyway.

I think that should answer your question and taking off your old pump won't give you any more information.  This is all you really need.

Happy hunting.

[fuel pump specs]
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jeff Kaplan

Thank you Stu, that is great info, muchly appreciated.

Ron Hill

Jeff & Guys : I purposely rewired my lift pump to the blower switch and ran it like that for over a year.  I did that so I could check the filtering status of the Racor filter!! 

I would periodically turn on the blower while the engine was running and look to see if the RPM increased. If it did - It was time to change the filter!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Catalina007

Speaking of fuel pumps, do you think mine is about due for a change?

Noah

Yep! But I would be concerned about where the "moisture" came from, or is still coming from, to cause it to look like it does.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig