Turning Radius

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldlaxer1

Does anyone have an approximation on the turning radius of the C34?   I've never really tested how tight of a 180 degree turn I can make without having to back and fill.  Just curious if anyone else has. 
Anyhow, it's a boring Monday so I figured I'd post the question. 
Thanks.
John Novotny
1987 C34 #298

Jim Hardesty

QuoteDoes anyone have an approximation on the turning radius of the C34?   I've never really tested how tight of a 180 degree turn I can make without having to back and fill.

John,
I'm not sure what the question is.  Turning to starboard, using the prop walk, forward and reverse Shamrock will pivot, to port not so much.  Turning using only rudder is a function of speed.  And turning the boat kills the speed, so lets say I approach a mooring ball at 2 knots wind on beam, in neutral, turn hard into wind Shamrock is near stopped, hopefully right at the mooring ball.  Only a guess, if at idle 1000rpm in gear, going 2-3 knots. full rudder, think two boat lengths, possibly less.
Also your keel, deep or wing, prop, rudder, elliptical or original, all figure in to the equation.
Hope that helps,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Oldlaxer1

I was sort of thinking 2 boat lengths at 2kts.  We do a parade of lighted boats and we go into the docks at Fells Point and I can easily make those turns with plenty of room to spare.
John Novotny
1987 C34 #298

glennd3

I don' t  like to put my boat in tight quarters. In a confined area with other boats you need to take in other intangibles, wind, other captain's abilities.......
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

scgunner

Since most sailboats pivot on the keel the turning radius is pretty small, but as mentioned by others there are a number of factors that play into this.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Ron Hill

OLD : It is  function of speed. I have never from a dead stop - turned the rudder hard over and tried to turn the boat? 
Ego Alley in Annapolis is easily maneuvered - about a boat and 1/2 length?

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

mark_53

The more power, the greater the radius.  In tight quarters, with a $500K yacht 30' dead ahead, I give it a power burst to 2-3knts, then to neutral and a hard starboard pivot.  Usually clear the yacht by 7-10 ft.

Noah

Sometimes it takes more than just speed or rudder...Nerve perhaps?  :shock:
https://youtu.be/0E78XEvLtA0
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ken Krawford

Always have someone standing on the bow during dangerous conditions !  Was it lucky or good?

Quote from: Noah on November 16, 2020, 07:49:05 PM
Sometimes it takes more than just speed or rudder...Nerve perhaps?  :shock:
https://youtu.be/0E78XEvLtA0
Ken Krawford
C350 Hull 351  2005 Universal M35B

scgunner

John,

If this really interests you, you can go out into a bay or uncrowded turning basin or any other flat water area and try some 180s or even 360s. You can try different speeds and compare results. It won't be exact but it will give you a pretty good idea of what you boat can do. Also, a little boat handling practice is never a bad thing.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Oldlaxer1

Quote from: scgunner on November 17, 2020, 07:32:00 AM
John,

If this really interests you, you can go out into a bay or uncrowded turning basin or any other flat water area and try some 180s or even 360s. You can try different speeds and compare results. It won't be exact but it will give you a pretty good idea of what you boat can do. Also, a little boat handling practice is never a bad thing.
Part of the reason for my post is that I feel the C34 turns much tighter than my old boat, a Tartan 30 with a tiller.  Intuitively doesn't seem probable and maybe it is the difference between tiller and wheel or I'm just getting old and forget how the Tartan turned.  I take lots of folks thru the route for the parade of lights I posted above, either at the beginning or end of a sail, and each time I vary the speed and see the results of the turn. I guess I'm really impressed with how quickly the C34 turns.  Like Ron said, Ego Alley in Annapolis isn't any wider than my route and  they will easily make that 180 without issue.
I also have come to like the predictable prop walk "IF" I am turning to stb. We went into a pretty tight and very full marina in St. Michael's this summer over Labor day. I had to make a sharp turn to port followed by an immediate turn to starboard to back into a slip.  I'm not sure I could have done it in my old boat. 
John Novotny
1987 C34 #298

scgunner

John,

Interesting topic, comparative turning radii. The C34 may actually turn tighter than your old boat or it could just seem like it. The Tartan is a smaller boat, and with tiller you'd be farther forward which could lessen the perception of a quick turn. The C34 on the other hand is a bigger boat and with a wheel you're closer to the transom. When you crank the wheel hard over not only is that bigger, longer bow swinging faster due to it being farther from the boat's CG, but you are also moving faster because you're also farther from that same CG.

Oldlaxer1

Interesting thoughts.  It's all about perception. 8)
John Novotny
1987 C34 #298

scgunner

Yeah, who knows your Tartan may have actually turned shorter than your C34, it is a shorter boat after all. When you hang a 180 the boat is going to skid, how much of a skid will be dependent on your initial speed which will affect the size of your turning radius. I would think the heavier boat(C34)would have a bigger skid therefore greater turning radius. Bottom line, it's always a good idea to know what YOUR boat is capable of so you know, in close quarters, when you can safely pull that 180 to get yourself out of dutch.