Asymmetrical SPinnaker

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy Gold

I have an Asymmetrical with sock and collar that came with my boat. It was never used and I had to have it rigged into the sock.

I watched a video on how to rig it and i see you have a line leading to the collar to adjust the height.  I have  line leading down the center of my cabin roof which I assumed was the downhaul for the spinnaker pole. Is there any reason I couldn't use that line for adjusting the height of the collar. This way I could do it from the cockpit. 

If anyone has one I would love to see how yours is rigged. Picture are worth a thousand words
1992 Cal 34 MK 1.5.   #1202
Universal 35 BC

KWKloeber

Buddy

What brand sock I'd it?

I tie off the adjustment line to a bow cleat but I suppose it's ok to run it back. But isn't your adjustment a loop (up/down). At least mine is.

Is your line back going thru a stand-up deck block up forward of the anchor locker, or where?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Buddy : When I loaded my A spinnaker into the sock, it is all the way to the top of the sock so some of the bottom(foot) of that sail is not in the sock.  I run the sock control line down the mast and secure it on a mast cleat.   The pully attachment at the top is then attached to the spinnaker halyard and hoisted all the way to the pulley on the mast head bail.   (clear as mud?)

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

Buddy,

Take a look at this.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=utube+spinnacher+sock&view=detail&mid=3C5EEF8065D59D9CC3183C5EEF8065D59D9CC318&FORM=VIRE&PC=HCTS&cc=US&setlang=en-US&PC=HCTS&cvid=6988711f8bdd41318ce6b14929cf10cf

That's close to the way I do it except I use a snach block to the bail on the anchor roller run the line to a bow cleat.  Not the best but it works and I don't use the spinnaker in a strong breeze.  If I used it more would buy/make something else.   Note that he only used one sheet.  That's what I do.  To jibe, pull the sock down and walk the sheet around the forestay and back, then pull the sock back up.

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Buddy : I found that one of the most important items is a Spinnaker Bag (daughter modified a regular sail bag) so as the video showed - everything stays in its place!

After you use it a few times you find mods that you might like to use. 
I have a tac control line that allows you to raise/lower the height of the tac.  The sail tac is secured to the second bow roller pin (only the 1986/87/88s have) and has a block for the control line to go thru. The control line is attached to the sail tac and a large beaded neckless that goes around the furled up jib.  That way the tac of the sail just rolls up or down over the jib.
I elected to have a red and a green sheet line that goes aft thru blocks that attach to the stern cleats. 

Fly it a couple of times without the main up so you can see what is happening and get used to your spinnaker.

A few thoughts 
Ron, Apache #788

mark_53

I have the same setup.  The lines were tangled so I took it to my local loft and had them set the spinnaker, sock together and stuff it in a bag.  No lines lead to the cockpit.  Raise from the bow to adjust the tac hight and secure to the bow. But first secure the sheet to an aft cleat.

dfloeter

The best thing I have learned from videos about handling our A sail is about the douse.  We use a Tylaska shackle on the tack that is easily released under load when we are ready to drop the sail.  We steer down to blanket the spinnaker behind the main, blow the tack, the sail now depowered hangs loose and I can easily pull down the sock.  The sheet is already quite loose and might not need much of an ease to pull the sock all the way down.  Our spin halyard cleats on the mast so I can lower it right away. The drama is mostly gone from the scene. 
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

Buddy Gold

Quote from: KWKloeber on November 11, 2020, 06:03:27 PM
Buddy

What brand sock I'd it?

I have an ATN sock, I finally found a video that shows the collar that goes over the rollerfurled jib...
http://www.atninc.com/atn-spinnaker-sleeve.shtml
1992 Cal 34 MK 1.5.   #1202
Universal 35 BC