Head Pump Replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Mann

Has anyone replaced the Wilcox Crittenden Headmate pump assembly with Raritan PH II pumps?  By this I mean just the pump, not the bowl base unit.  Seems as if the Raritan pump will drop  onto the same mount as the Headmate.  Mine is dying by degrees and parts have now completely dried up from my normal sources.  I figure I have one more "pull it apart" and mix saved old parts with the existing ones.
Catalina 34 MkII, Indigostar, 2002 no 1622, Tall Rig, M35-BC

Geoffreykwright

I've replaced the head pump on my 34 Mk II (built 2000, hull 1494) with a Jabsco pump.  Works great and not too pricey.
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II Hull 1494 (Built 2000)
Toronto, CANADA

Stu Jackson

Robert, have you considered going to Raritan's website and downloading the manual for the LBA (pump & base replacement)?  They should have the dimensions of the components so you can check.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Robert Mann

Thanks Geoffrey and Stu.

Actually I have not looked for the dimensions on the Raritan site, which I will this evening, good catch Stu.  I have seen on  the Marine Sanitation and Supply, Seattle, website that they now push the search from the Head Mate repair kit to the PH II replacement pump, noting that the bolts need to be downsized to a number 10.  If its that simple, that's the answer.  I had a similar pump on my Ericson, that I managed to abuse for nearly 17 years, adding a Joker Valve or 2 and not much else.  I'm going to try and reuse the bowl and base unit from the CW and only replace the pump unit.

Ron Hill

Robert : I found that if you watch sales and closeouts just buy a new head and use it for spare parts!!

The extra bowl can be filled with soil and used as a planter at the end of your dock!!!   :thumb:

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Robert Mann on December 07, 2020, 01:57:28 PM

I'm going to try and reuse the bowl and base unit from the CW and only replace the pump unit.

Robert, the way I understand the LBA replacement is that you keep your bowl, but replace the base and the pump, which together (i.e., base & pump) are the unit that you purchase, although the pump can be removed from the base.

The concept is that the NEW base has identical holes FOR THE BOWL, rather than the pump fitting onto the old base.

When you're on the Raritan website, look up the LBA and see for yourself.

If I'm right, then what you'll be doing is no different than this:

PHII Installation with Photos  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3797.msg45617.html#msg45617

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Robert Mann

Stu, while it causes me great pain to admit it, you are correct.  The Raritan PH II pump has a 2.5" bolt center, on a square pattern, and the WC Headmate looks to be 2.375" on a square pattern.  This is most likely why Marine Sanitation suggests  that the screws should be down sized to a #10, probably to compensate for the 1/8" difference.  That's a bit too "Shade Tree" even for me.  Looks like an LBA conversion in the spring.

Ron, the Corps of Engineers frowns upon crappers with geraniums on the dock fingers.  Cluttered fingers is second behind "your shore cable is dipping in the water" when they make their periodic sweep!