Gauge cleaning

Previous topic - Next topic

waughoo

I plan to do the replacement panel with new gauges on my boat at some point.  My gauge panel is the silver version and it has been scratched off and the gauges all have dirt inside making them quite challenging to read.  The price for the panel loaded with gauges and wired does not seem like too much to me, but I will admit it isn't as much fun to spend as say money towards a new feature (like a windless).
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Ron Hill

Guys : Glenn asked the question about power to the engine instrument panel.
Of course there is power to the key switch IF the battery selector in on 1,2 or Both.  Otherwise there should be no power!!

I see that Glenn has discovered what I said in my post above - The 194 auto bulb is toooo hot for that instrument insulation!!

Change to a 194size LED to hold down the heat!!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

scgunner

Glenn,

I'm not seeing any dirt inside your gauges, maybe it's the reflection. But if they bother you, you can always replace them, it's not that expensive and it will definitely freshen up your panel.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

glennd3

I have ordered the 3 smaller gauges from Defender as they seem to be the same .  Teleflex gauges are now made by Seastar.  The gauges are basically 25 bucks each. I am going to keep the Tach, I just have to detail it. I am sending the panel off to DMP Automation,Inc., contact is Steve. He said he would email me some information about their process, I will post it. I am also replacing the ignition switch and starter button. I figured they have been there for 30 years and as long as I am there.....
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Ron Hill

Glenn : What you are probably seeing is the discoloration/wear of the acrylic panel cover over outside the entire panel.

I wrote a Mainsheet tech note article on covering your entirely new panel with a Lexan panel.  Then sewing an Sunbrella removable cover to keep the Sun's UV from eating up the Lexan and the panel facing itself.   :thumb:

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

glennd3

I received the panel back from DMP. I mounted the new gauges. I am happy with the appearance. I also switched the light bulbs to red LEDs. 
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

waughoo

Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

kh3412

1987 mk1 a work in progress #618

scgunner

Glenn,

Strong work! As Ron suggested, a UV cover would be a good idea.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

glennd3

Just a couple more photos.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Roland Gendreau

Nice job Glenn!  As my boat is identical to yours, I would like to order the exact same panel.
Can you give me the email address for Steve at DMP and how much they charged you for the panel?

Thanks

Roland
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

glennd3

steve@dmpautomation.com,    140$

Quote from: Roland Gendreau on November 21, 2020, 01:26:58 PM
Nice job Glenn!  As my boat is identical to yours, I would like to order the exact same panel.
Can you give me the email address for Steve at DMP and how much they charged you for the panel?

Thanks

Roland
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

KWKloeber

PLEASE install weather covers on the switches so I can sleep better.   :sleepy:
They're CHEAP at Defender.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

glennd3

I made sure I ordered the Cole Hersree you recommended in another thread. I assumed they are good or did I make a mistake? I did order the  weather cap for the ignition switch but the threads were buggered, I have ordered another.

Quote from: KWKloeber on November 23, 2020, 10:12:26 AM
PLEASE install weather covers on the switches so I can sleep better.   :sleepy:
They're CHEAP at Defender.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Ron Hill

Glenn : Besides the rubber boots on the starter, blower and the key switch - Also make a Sunbrella cover for the entire panel to keep the Suns UV rays off while the boat is not in use.  I wrote a Mainsheet tech note article w/pictures in the tech notes!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788