Gauge cleaning

Previous topic - Next topic

glennd3

I am looking at refurbishing my gauge panel. I have looked thru the site and see the options for the panel itself however I do not see where anyone has disassembled the gauges for cleaning. Just checking to see if anyone has. I have done it on my TR6 and it was fairly easy. I am just wondering if their would be anything different for the marine environment, not that the triumph doesn't have a leak or two.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

scgunner

Glenn,

Your TR6 doesn't have sealed marine gauges. My Austin-Healey is the same, a slight twist of the bezel and you can remove glass and bezel for cleaning. In the marine environment Smith's gauges would last very long. I've never had a problem with the inside of my cockpit gauges getting dirty. I just wipe the outside dials and I'm good to go. If your gauges are really dirty inside you can always replace them. You can get the exact replacement at West Marine, it's a simple swap and they're not very expensive.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

glennd3

I emailed,https://www.dmpautomation.com/, Last night on a recommendation from Ken on a thread about replacing the engine panel. I asked them if they had a panel for my boat. Today, Saturday I got a return call from Steve. He said if I send the old panel they can make a new one for less than CD. He also said they can add lettering, do any color and add for example USB port. He also said they can make main electric  panels.  He was very friendly and knowledgeable about catalinas as he races his catalina 30. I think I am going to try them. I will update this topic with pictures as I progress.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Ron Hill

Glenn : I replaced (from Seaward) my panel from the old silver to the new white years ago.

The only problem that I've ever had with the instruments is that the 194 instrument light bulbs create tooo much heat and screw up the slots at hold the bulbs. 
I found that changing to LED "194" replacements solved the problem of heat!!  When I did that I also change from the clear to the red bulbs so it's great for night work. 

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

glennd3

Ron, 

I like the idea of the red led. When you say you got the panel from Seaward, where did you find them? I see the ones from CD but they are not correct for my panel. Also as Noah pointed out they have the CD logo. I searched the internet for Seaward and came up with companies that do not seem to be correct.

Quote from: Ron Hill on November 08, 2020, 12:48:02 PM
Glenn : I replaced (from Seaward) my panel from the old silver to the new white years ago.

The only problem that I've ever had with the instruments is that the 194 instrument light bulbs create tooo much heat and screw up the slots at hold the bulbs. 
I found that changing to LED "194" replacements solved the problem of heat!!  When I did that I also change from the clear to the red bulbs so it's great for night work. 

A few thoughts
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

mdidomenico

i would be interested in learning about what's available for just the panel plate.  the one at CD seems overpriced and i don't like that it has their logo splashed across it
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

waughoo

As i understand it, you can get both the CDirect logo or the Catalina logo.  I think it just costs a wee more for the catalina one.  I also recall in my searches that the panel sans gauges is also available.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

waughoo

I stand corrected... it appears the faceplate only has the Cdirect logo.  However, you can get the fully wired panel with instruments with either logo.  You might try calling them to see if it is available without the gauges.  They have more available than is listed on the site.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Ron Hill

Glenn : I would suspect that any plastics company that can make and scribe plastic plates could make a new panel for you - given the measurements. It would be without the Catalina logo.

There was a guy named Dennis that worked for Seaward who might know of a source for a new Catalina Engine panel with out instruments
his Email was "DIGARASHI@Earthlink.net" [(626)374-6422]
You can see if that old address/telephone # is still good? and let us all know!!

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

glennd3

I may go down to the boat tomorrow. I am planning on removing the panel and gauges. Does anyone know if there is any power going to the engine panel that bypasses the battery selector switch? Trying not to disconnect the batteries.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Gary Brockman

Seaward Products was sold in 2012 and the new owners cut back on selling things direct to consumers. Dennis continued to be able to provide a selection of former Catalina electrical panels and engine panels for all of the Catalina models. I don't know if he still works there or if he can still sell these panels if he does. The last time I know of someone buying a panel was in 2016. My last telephone number for Dennis was 626-374-6422.
Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California

scgunner

Glenn,

You shouldn't have any power to the panel when you switch off the batteries, unless of course a PO did some kind of work around. You can pull the panel out and put a test light on the backside wiring to make sure, in any case you're only dealing with 12v which is also fused.

So now it looks like you're going from gauge lens cleaning to full on panel replacement, I'd say that's jumping in with both feet.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

glennd3

Removed the panel today. The three smaller gauges are broken where the light attaches. My alarm/buzzer is missing although it works when I start the engine. I just cannot find it. I did not realize it was not plugged into the back of the panel. I reached and felt around in the panel hole but could not find it. The sun was at an angle that made looking inside difficult. I have attached pictures. I think I am going to replace the small gauges because of the damaged housings. I will get back with what I find out about gauges. You can see parts of the broken housing in the gauge lenses.

Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

glennd3

Too many boat units! Would look nice though.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland