refridge

Previous topic - Next topic

davo

I have a 93 I need to recharge, got a set up from the auto store and it wont attach to the fitting what do I need
Sailing is healing

Ron Hill

davo : Could you tell us what fridge system you have?

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

davo

adler barber super cold
Sailing is healing

waughoo

A vintage of 93 might actually be R12 which cant be bought at the auto store.  The refrigerant type will be listed on the compressor.  What has led you to the decision that it needs a recharge?
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

scgunner

I think by '93 R12 had already been phased out, but I could be wrong. I'm not sure about the compatibility of an auto A/C system and a marine refrigeration system as far as fittings are concerned. Your best bet might be to get a marine refrigeration guy to do a service and system recharge. I had to do that awhile ago it wasn't that expensive.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

glennd3

They will check for a leak too.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

waughoo

The one in my 91' is still R12 which surprised me but perhaps that was one of the ladt ones.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Dave DeAre

The Adler in my 2002 uses R-134 but has the R-12 connection. I used a R-12 to R-134 adapter, available at automotive stores to connect and recharge with the correct R-134. I don't believe R-134 was used in 93. You need to research this, the recharge is very specific and can be dangerous if you do not know exactly what you are doing.
Overdue
2002 34, roller main, tall rig
Burnham Harbor, Chicago

scgunner

I did a search and R12 was discontinued '95, so as Alex said your '93 is probably R12.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

oldcatsailor

134a ref.if you need to charge you have a leak check the connections try tighten.when you charge apply soapy water around connections look for bubbles.connections are commercial not automotive.if  system leaks put under a vacuum and spray paint connections with quick dry paint. Kyrylon ?
Sail 1064 Tr wing keel 1990/