As they age

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

Kevin

I used the wrong word.  The adjuster on the 30 was "factory" instead of "stock (at least in '83-'84, for which I have order form info.)  It was OEM but a $75 option, which covered additionally the tang (molded into not slapped onto the transom.)

Other sail handling like a vang were also options.  I'm guessing that CTY changed the BSAdj arrangement so that it could be slapped on as a lower-cost option, rather than needing to build in the 3rd tang into the mold. 

You're right, follow the money. 💰💵
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

scgunner

Ken,

Performance hardware for sailboats can be as addictive as crack cocaine, and as expensive. I think Catalina did a really nice job of hitting that sweet spot between gear and price on their basic sailaway boat.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Ron Hill

Guys : I gave all of my old price sheets to Stu (for posterity), but as I recall on the 1986 C34 the SAILS were an option!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Ron Hill on November 16, 2020, 02:37:59 PM
Guys : I gave all of my old price sheets to Stu, but as I recall on the 1986 C34 the SAILS were an option!!

A thought

The price sheet for the early models from 1985 is in the tech wiki, first page under history and evolution.

Sails were not so much an "option" as one would think.  The choices were between standard and tall rig and different sized genoas.  And back then in the mid-80s, Catalina sails sucked, so it gave you the opportunity to buy sails locally, which, BTW, my PO did.

Later, Ullman began making reasonably good sails and Catalina standardized on selling boats with 135 genoas, making sails part of the standard equipment.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Gary Brockman

I replaced the standard Catalina backstay adjuster earlier this year when I replaced all of my standing rigging. I now have a 32/1 cascade on the backstay that allows me to quickly obtain a very firm forestay when racing. I originally planned to have a 64/1 purchase but my rigger said that 32/1 would work really well and that it could easily be changed to 64/1 later if I thought I needed it by adding an additional single block.

The cascade is made up of three Harken single blocks using smaller and smaller dyneema line for each segment ending with a smaller 4/1 block and tackle. I also had him install a safety line within the cascade in case there was a failure in the cascade.

This system has worked really well and gives a tighter forestay than I was able to get from the original backstay adjuster.

Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Gary Brockman

I tried to attach a picture but it didn't attach. I'm not sure what I did wrong.
Squall
1986 Hull #231

KWKloeber

Did you get an error msg that the file was too large?
How many bytes is it?
Try again and note any notices/msgs.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

scgunner

As I recall Catalina offered a basic sailaway boat which included sails among other things, the purpose being to get you on the water for a reasonable price. The stock sails were not good but you could sail the boat fairly well. I remember on my original main there was a break in the sail where the battens ended, no amount of adjustment would rid the main of that break. It was hard to raise(and lower)because of the cheapo slide and car system, but it did get me out on the water and I did a lot of sailing with those rags until I got some real sails.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Gary Brockman

I didn't get an error message and my file size is 92 kb. I hit the Choose File button and chose the jpg file I wanted and its title showed up to the right of the Choose File button. When I hit Post the post was added to the tread but did not contain the jpg picture.

I am trying it again with this post.
Squall
1986 Hull #231

Stu Jackson

I did something similar to Gary's but used a Garhauer adjuster, when I raised the split much higher, which avoids head banging.  I just used a regular 4:1 vang also from Garhauer.  I also added D shackles to the chainplates for the vang on one side and the line on the other.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."