Dodgers

Previous topic - Next topic

rwilkinsii

Did Dodgers come standars on the c34?? mine is a 1986 and i see snaps on the hatch but nothign for it to snap to and there is no dodger...
Any help would be great..

Rich Wilkins
Houston Tx
86 c34
S/V Lil Tiger
Geaux Tigers!!

Roc

Rich,
Congratulations on the new boat.  You'll certainly love the C34.  Snaps on the hatch don't necessarily mean the boat previously had a dodger.  Maybe those snaps were from some sort of companion way cover/screen/etc. that is missing.  Is there any evidence of holes where hardware was mounted for the dodger frame??  Dodgers and biminis are really not 'standard'.  Canvas is usually an add on.  Some would order the boat with it as an option from the factory (like mine), or get it installed by a local shop after they take delivery.

Happy Sailing,
Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Steve_in_lex

I just got a 2005 MK II but she was hauled for the winter before I could get aboard for any length of time.  Looking at pictures, though, I'm curious...is it possible to fold down the dodger?  It looks like the traveler would get in the way, so the dodger has to come off to open up the view.  (I understand that you can roll up the middle panel of the dodger.)

Thanks,

Steve
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"

Jim Hardesty

Steve,
As Roc said, dodgers are add-on.  Having said that I think many of the MKll were from Catalina.  If you search the site there are pictures.  On my MKll the dodger doesn't fold down.  By removing the side panels and rolling up the center windshield only the top and just over a foot on each side of the windshield is left.  On mine there is a plastic receiver for a boltrope on the dodger just under where the lines feed.  That is what takes the time to put on the dodger, all lines are fed through the dodger to the rope clutches.
Hope this helped.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

From the recent topic Seeing over the Navpod:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7877.msg54522.html#msg54522

Click on the links about the C375 and the dodgers.

Catalina began making dodgers as options.  I found them to be questionable at best because I feel they were too high, curved on top and only came with side bars as options, which is ludicrous.

Who makes your dodger will determine how it works.  Like sails, your choices are simple:  1)  mail order or factory made - may be less $$ but ? service and details; 2) local - good service, design details worked out in person, local fitting and adjustments, etc., maybe more $$ but it's usually worth it.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

2ndwish

Stu- When I saw your response to this post, I was sure this was about Matt Kemp dating a Kardashian- Good news for your Giants. :devil

Ron Hill

Steve : To answer your question about a fold down dodger - you can have one, but it has to be made to be able to fold down by the canvas maker.  
Most dodgers do not fold down very well - even mine with a zip out front window!

Most of us have found out that one of most important functions of a dodger is the added hand holds (side and back).  I almost "but my but" when I get on somebody else's boat that does not have the side hand holds.  They are a real safety item, but that means you need the dodger frame up!! 
The hand holds also add rigidity to the dodger frame.

a few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

If you decide to get one definitely get the hand holds on the side.  We didn't have them for many years.  Were added as a mistake when we had the dodger restiched.  We are both amazed how much easier it is to move up the side deck now....why did we wait so long :?
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Roger Blake

Jim--I agree, the lines going thru the dodger resulted in a lot of time removing and installing the dodger...so I had my canvas shop install zippers. Now I just unzip, install/remove the dodger, and move onto the next task. Did it about 3 years ago...wish I had done it after the first season. Now, on to the next task...fix a leaking aqua lift muffler case...
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414

Jim Hardesty

Roger,
My dodger has seen better days.  Last couple of falls I look it over and decide a couple of stiches here a small patch there and good for another season.  Don't want to do any changes to an old dodger.

Where did you add the zippers?  I'll have them added to my next dodger.

Jim

Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

Clay Greene

FYI, I think most of the dodgers in the Mark II boats were made for Catalina by JSI (now known as Island Nautical).  My friend's 97 C34 Mark II has a JSI dodger.  That may be helpful if you ever need to replace a panel or a part.  JSI/Island Nautical also started doing the interior cushions for Catalina but not sure when that happened. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Jim Hardesty

Good to know.  Has anyone bought a replacment from them, JSI/Island Nautical?   Are they an exact match?
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

Roger Blake

Jim, next time to the boat, I will take some pics...but basically, from the oval opening to the outside (on portside, installed zipper towards port, vice versa for starboard).
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414