How often do you top off flooded batteries?

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

Quotewhat brand hydrometer did you buy?
Ken,
I don't recall, it's similar to this one. 

https://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Max-Battery-Hydrometer-product/dp/B00NCWAPEY/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=Battery+Hydrometer&qid=1604405346&sr=8-9

Any good auto parts store should have them.  I saw hits on google for utube how-to's.  For me important thing is readings between cells and comparing to old readings.   I take readings in the spring, may be a couple of times over a couple of weeks, then only if I'm suspicious of the batteries.
I may visit Shamrock next couple of days, will try to remember to take pictures of my plumbing pvc case.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

scgunner

Thanks Noah, you learn something new everyday.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Ken Krawford

Thanks for the info and the link Jim.  My lack of trust with the instrument stemmed from test the same cell 3 times and getting a different reading each time.  It doesn't seem like there's a lot of specialized technique involved.  Place tube in cell, squeeze bulb to pull electrolyte in - keep hydrometer vertical and read.
Ken Krawford
C350 Hull 351  2005 Universal M35B

Roc

Hi Jim.
Great idea of making a case out of PVC pipe!!  I never knew how I should store the hydrometer with battery acid on it. Thanks for the tip!!
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Jim Hardesty

A couple of pictures.  Also notice the well rinsed Arizona tea jug for the distilled water.  More rugged than the jugs distilled water comes in, and a refreshing beverage.
Jim

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Paulus

I also check my batteries weekly for levels.  Every season I disconnect all cables and check the voltage in each battery and record this in my log book. 
Paul
PS:  My wife and I spend 7 weeks sailing on Lake Michigan and also around Drummond Island and the St. Mary's river.  Missed the North Channel.
Cool Change 1989 #944