drawing of the floorboards for a 1986

Previous topic - Next topic

anaisdog

hi all, i took my floorboards off, last year, sealed the underside, since they were the raw teak/holly, and then didn't do anything with them.  does anyone have a drawing of the boards, for a 1986 so when i give them to the wood worker, i can label them based on a map? if not, i'll bring them back to the boat, put them on, and make my own map. 

thanks

becki in detroit
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

Stu Jackson

Quote from: anaisdog on October 28, 2020, 02:30:53 PM
does anyone have a drawing of the boards, for a 1986 so when i give them to the wood worker, i can label them based on a map? ...............

Yes, there is a drawing of the boards right in the boat manual:  page 50

http://c34.org/wiki/images/b/b1/1988-C34-Owners.pdf

The brochures also have it:  pages 2 & 3

https://c34.org/wikiwp/?rdp_we_resource=http%3A%2F%2Fc34.org%2Fwiki%2Findex.php%3Ftitle%3DHistory

You really don't need a map, 'cuz there are no two identical pieces.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

anaisdog

page 50?  i don't see any boards on there.  thanks

Stu Jackson

The manual page 50 shows the "floor plan."  You HAVE the floor boards, not too hard to figure it out.

The brochure shows the "cuts" pretty clearly.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

scgunner

Becki,

You've lost me here, what's the purpose of the map and why are you taking your floorboards to a woodworker, are you having new ones made?
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

anaisdog

thanks Stu, now i have to figure out how to get that long board back to the boat

Jeff Kaplan

Becki,

When I had the new sole made for my 1986 C34, I had the teak/holly ply, 2 4X8, sheets sent to a lumber yard and I brought the old pieces to the yard for the master millwright to use as the template, so all lines match up. There is a multi step procedure to finish the wood, most important to seal bottom and sides, then top. If you need any advice, contact me.  Good luck.
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

anaisdog

thanks.  i sealed the underside but now, i'm going to have someone else do the top side. 

Jeff Kaplan

Becki,

on the top side, I finished with 3 coats of varnish and 5 coats of poly. Still looks new after 14 years.
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

anaisdog

i could but i don't have the space.  i thought i would. 

anaisdog

any idea how to get the board under the table out?  i can't seem to lift the table base to save my life.  thanks

Stu Jackson

glennd3

I used west system epoxy on the top side.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

anaisdog

really?  i used west system resin on the underside but didn't know about using it on topside

Noah

In my opinion, I would not recommend West System on top of floorboards "alone". Epoxy does not have UV protection. As much as you think down below has no UV exposure, not true! You will get fading in parts over time. If you use epoxy, you need to topcoat it with at least three coats of polyurethane varnish.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig