Eyebrow molding

Previous topic - Next topic

glennd3

I am currently refinishing the teak eyebrows on the cabin top. When reattaching to the boat would you seal the entire length or just at the screws. I think I want to just seal at the screws and let the water be able to go behind and thru the molding.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

scgunner

Glenn,

When you removed the eyebrows were you able to determine how they were originally attached? If so I think that would be your pathway, if not I don't see the need to do any sealing beyond the screws. I'd think sealing the full length would make removal next time difficult and messy.

I got tired of doing the same. I finally solved my problem by removing the eyebrows altogether, sealing the holes, and replacing the eyebrows with a matching color boot stripe tape, navy blue for my boat.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Ron Hill

Glenn : When I removed mine for refinishing they were just held on with the screws - no caulk except on the screws. 

Then I decided not to replace them.  Instead I got some #4 SS finishing washers and some shorter SS screws. Then I used a dab of silicone  caulk on each screw and filled the holes with the screw.  Had a friend with a C34 in the same marina who didn't notice the lack of the eyebrow teak for a couple of months!!

I still have the refinished teak 15' long strips (in one piece) if anyone wants them.  I'm just 1.3 miles off of I 95 in Fredericksburg Va.  Just let me know - Free!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Glenn

There's no inherent reason to seal under the whole strip.  Countersink the teak and the coachroof so the sealant (butyl donut or caulk if you choose that) forms under compression in the pocket as you tighten down.

For a 120% job, you could epoxy pot and redrill pilot holes for the screws.

-ken   
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

According to factory lay-up schedule, I do not believe the vertical cabin sides have a wood core, so "potting" (over drill and fill) is not required.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Yep, you're right about the core! 

But that makes no nevermind.  By that reasoning (woodless, not to be confused with windlass or wind less) no sealant at all is needed on the 'brow screws or anything else screwed-in where there's no core?

Cured polyester resin is hydrophilic (loves and absorbs water and goes punky, e.g, hull blisters) epoxy resin is not hydrophilic.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Guys :  Just use a dab of silicone caulk or a small twist of butyl rubber in the hole and screw the strip back ON. 

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Ron- i was getting my "no wood core" information from this document:
https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6679.msg43976.html#msg43976
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

ewengstrom

Ron,
I sent you a P.M. I live in King George and am most interested in those eyebrows.
Thanks!!!
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

Stu Jackson

Quite some time ago, there was a discussion about voids in the cabintop.

I provided a picture of what is behind my V berth Beckson portlight.

https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3601.msg19950.html#msg19950

This message is also provided as a link in the Beckson port removal tool thread:  https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3241.0.html

It seems from that photo that the EXTERIOR portion of the cabintops, both horizontal and sloped/vertical, appears to be fiberglass with no core, with space between it and the interior liner.  The interior white section of that photo could be covered up wood core, don't know for sure.  But I'd go with Noah's layup schedule first.  Unless, of course, you DO find wood in there, then let us know.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Noah : Guess I took them off in about 2000/2001? so I couldn't remember about the core, but I did use a dab of caulk in each hole with a shorter screw and finishing washer! 

Then I never missed the maintenance, beside I couldn't see them from the wheel anyway!!   :clap

A thought

Ron, Apache #788