Engine won't start

Previous topic - Next topic

paule

Have a starting and electrical problem this past weekend, let me give a little background.

I put the back in the water back in the beginning of April after being out for 1.5 years. At that time replaced the batteries  when i  was put in the water the boat would not turn over had my mechanic come over to get me started so I could bring the boat to the dock. Since being busy I could not go out on the boat plus in the summer weather is not that great to sail in here in FL. I did run the motor at least once a month for an hour or plugged in for a couple of days. Boat started up with no problems so we went out for a sail the weekend before, which brings me to this last weekend here is the scenario:

When I go to turn the key my amp meter goes to zero.
Go check batteries the show charged.

Go and put the stereo on no problem turn on the cabin lights on  stereo turns off.
No cabin lights
turn on VHF no problem
Water pump no problem
Has this happened to any body.

Paul
2003 c34
Paul & Lynn Erb
Yachta Yachta Yachta
C34 2003 #1634
Rotonda West, FL 33947

mark_53

Do you have a dedicated starting battery with short cable runs?  If not, you should consider one.  Volt meter on the engine panel should go to zero when glow plugs on.  Release glow plugs and wait a couple seconds then hit start.

paule

going to walk down to boat to try
Paul & Lynn Erb
Yachta Yachta Yachta
C34 2003 #1634
Rotonda West, FL 33947

paule

Mark,
Thanks but that did not work
Paul & Lynn Erb
Yachta Yachta Yachta
C34 2003 #1634
Rotonda West, FL 33947

mark_53

Do you hear a click when trying to start or just silence? Do you know where all the fuses are?

paule

Just silent did have a click on Saturday
Paul & Lynn Erb
Yachta Yachta Yachta
C34 2003 #1634
Rotonda West, FL 33947

mark_53

The click indicates the solenoid is getting power.  Silence means it's not.  Both indicates very low battery or connection problem.  Do a load test on the battery.  It may be good enough for lights but lack juice to start.  I had starting issues because the OEM wiring was to long with to many connections in between that why I suggested a dedicated start battery but I have a MK1.  Also, check your fuses.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: mark_53 on October 27, 2020, 01:58:22 PM
The click indicates the solenoid is getting power.  Silence means it's not.  Both indicates very low battery or connection problem.  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Paul, Mark is right, although those are only two of the possible culprits.  Have you checked the Critical Upgrades topic?  There is a FUSE between the key switch and the starter solenoid, cleverly hidden underneath the alternator (at least on the Mark I boats).  That fuse holder tends to disintegrate over time.

https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5078.msg32211.html#msg32211
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

paule

thanks for the info will check tomorrow, that is what I thought that low batteries that just could not crank the engine.
Paul & Lynn Erb
Yachta Yachta Yachta
C34 2003 #1634
Rotonda West, FL 33947

scgunner

Paul,

When I have an intermittent power problem I usually suspect corrosion. The first thing I'd check and clean would be all grounds, especially around the ignition system.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Ron Hill

Paul : Don't know what you have for batteries, but you best check their Voltage.  Fully charged flooded battery should read about 12.7 volts.  Make sure that you have the battery selector on BOTH when trying to start.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

paule

Ron I show 14 amps down in the cabin meter.
I  am leaning towards bad batteries even they are only 7 months old. Batteries do not like FL, they only last 3 years.
Paul & Lynn Erb
Yachta Yachta Yachta
C34 2003 #1634
Rotonda West, FL 33947

Jon W

Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Colonel Butler

Find a friend with a proper multimeter and knows how to use it and start looking for a bad connection in your DC system. Download and print out the wiring diagram for your boat to give him/her a roadmap to troubleshoot the problem. if your batteries are at 14 volts without the charger on, the problem probably doesn't lie there.
2006 Catalina 34MkII "Calypso"
Hull #1746
Niagara-on-the-Lake Sailing Club
Niagara-on-the-Lake ON Canada

scgunner

Paul,

There's an old saying, when you don't know what the problem is start with the easy stuff first. That would be checking the grounds, this is the same problem that always comes up with old British sportscars(I've got three). Another way to go is backwards. Start at a non-functional cabin light and work your way back to it's power source using a test light, it's a simple circuit which should lead you to your problem.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273