Sailing limits

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Lucas

Hi all,
This past weekend we had a club Boyz cruise. For a reasonably novice sailor, I thought it was pretty challenging conditions with winds up to 34 knts. and 4-5' seas at times. I was mostly sailing with the main reefed (one reef point only on my rig) and 1/2 a head sail. We were "well powered" and almost dousing the head sail at times but..
My question is, it seems to me that 20-30 knts is about where we want to be. I could see managing up to a max of about 40 knts but would think that's about it?
Am I way off (high or low) for the experienced bunch on this forum?

Appreciate the comments in advance.

Jim Lucas
1999 MKII #1431, M35B, TR/FK 
"Calypso"
Sailing the PNW
Royal Victoria Yacht Club
Victoria, BC Canada

mark_53

Quote from: Jim Lucas on October 27, 2020, 08:51:01 AM
I thought it was pretty challenging conditions with winds up to 34 knts. and 4-5' seas at times.

You would be correct.  Not my idea of relaxing day sail.

Ron Hill

Jim : Not exactly the kind of weather that I would knowingly launch into from the dock!!

I've been caught out there in similar conditions and found that the C34 can take more of a pounding than the crew can!!! You definitely need another set of reef points!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Jim Lucas on October 27, 2020, 08:51:01 AM
My question is, it seems to me that 20-30 knts is about where we want to be. I could see managing up to a max of about 40 knts but would think that's about it?
Am I way off (high or low) for the experienced bunch on this forum?

Jim, it sure was gusty last weekend.

The key element of sailing in both high and/or gusty winds is the amount of sail you have up.

I run an 85% jib and a double reef in my main in that carp.  I sailed for 18 years on San Francisco Bay with this boat, 18 years before that in a C22 (5) and a C25 (13).   The C22 only had a 110, but the C25 had both a 110 and an 85.

I recommend that you consider getting another reef point in your main, or just sail on jib alone.  You didn't mention the size of your jib, but many folks here seem to think a genoa is necessary for the "normal" light airs we usually get during the summertime, then they are overwhelmed when it starts to really blow.  Big headsails are notorious for rotten shape when partially reefed.  They may also be made of lighter cloth.  I believe big headsails are unnecessary.  Here's why:
https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7704.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jim Lucas

I agree with adding another reef point. I have two Genoa's, a 134 and a 140. Just had the UV strip replaced on the 134 so was using the 140 when we got out there this weekend. Reefing the 140 wasn't ideal in the big winds but on the 2nd day, as winds became a bit more stable and about 15-18 knts., was good to have.
I generally don't get out in that much heavy weather and not sure how much better the 134 would be than the 140 but thinking I may just switch it for the winter...
Jim Lucas
"Calypso"
Sailing the PNW
Victoria, BC Canada

Stu Jackson

Jim, a 134 and a 140 are essentially the same.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Craig Illman

I had a 90 for winter sailing on Puget Sound and it was more than enough for over 20 knots.

Craig

scgunner

Jim,

I was caught out in similar to worse conditions while making a crossing, I was singling the boat while towing two dinghies and the auto pilot wouldn't handle the conditions, it was a rough four hours, I was pretty beat by the time I made the slip, the boat however seemed just fine. Just like labs these C34s love getting wet!

I agree with Ron, I certainly wouldn't sail out in these conditions, I'd do some slip sailing with a cocktail and some snacks.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Ron Hill

Jim : Like Stu said, I've done a lot of head sail alone sailing in similar conditions.  The Garhauer movable genoa system is great in those conditions.
Also you need to have a genoa that is cut for reefing.  I have a bi-redial cut 150 that does great with the cars all the way forward.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Lucas

Hi Ron,

I agree with you and Stu (as well as those that would rather avoid the heavier weather.. :))

I do have the moveable genoa cars and did run them all the way forward when reefing the genoa. It actually seemed to work OK even though I don't think my sail has any reefing cut. I don't plan to sail in these conditions often so probably won't be making any changes until something needs replacement and then will discuss with my sail maker.
Still quite impressed with the boats ability in those conditions and the fact that I was able to make good with a single reefed main and what I could make of a reefed genoa. We kept up with some better prepared and more experienced sailors and when the conditions improved, we were right in the mix.
Jim Lucas
"Calypso"
Sailing the PNW
Victoria, BC Canada

waughoo

Jim,

I'm envious of your adjustable jib cars.  That is something id like to do on my 91.  I see yours is a mk2. Any idea if your set up is easily adaptable to a mk1?
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Jim Lucas

Sorry but I'm not sure but would think that system would be adaptable to most any boat. Mine came with them from the PO.

Cheers,
Jim
Jim Lucas
"Calypso"
Sailing the PNW
Victoria, BC Canada

Stu Jackson

Quote from: waughoo on October 28, 2020, 07:28:00 PM
Jim,

I'm envious of your adjustable jib cars.  That is something id like to do on my 91.  I see yours is a mk2. Any idea if your set up is easily adaptable to a mk1?

Alex, of course it is.  IIRC, there may be some photos on the forum from prior posts.  I remember when I was racing back in San Francisco, most of the "racing" division skippers had them, mix of Mark Is and Mark IIs, so no problem.

Do some more looking, then call Garhauer.  Reason for looking is some skippers had some great ideas for routing and handling the adjusting lines on the system to keep them out of the way but fully functional.

waughoo

Thanks both of you.  I do believe they should be quite easily adaptable.  I've always thought they are the best to have on a roller furling boat.  Plus, it give you one more thing to mess with when a "race" starts between you and another sailboat near by :-)

I'll check the archives and see what I see.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte