new fixed radio?

Previous topic - Next topic

anaisdog

hi all, my fixed marine radio is really old and pretty much doesn't work .  someone also mounted a antenna on the port side, cabintop which i could never use because every time i tacked the jib, it would get hung up on it.  and that hole leaks.  what, for not ocean travel, but just inner lake travel, would you recommend and as far as I know, there is no network, on the boat, to connect to.

thanks
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

Ron Hill

Anais : I'd remove that antenna from the cabin top (plug the holes) and either install an antenna on the rear pushpit or on the top of the mast. 
I wrote an article on installing a wind instrument wiring on the top of the mast with the mast inplace. You could do the same with the radio Coax cable.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

becki

How far do you travel?  Would a handheld be an option?  Simple solution.
Or do you use a h/h now?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Kyle Ewing

Are you on the Great Lakes?  You might consider one with an AIS receiver like the Standard Horizon VHF Matrix AIS/GPS GX2200.  It'll show ship traffic, has DSC and doubles as a backup GPS.

Do you need to use the radio at the helm? 
Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Geoffreykwright

I would recommend all three.  I've got a mast-head antenna and would not use anything else.  My old VHF was fried in an electrical storm a few years back and I replaced it with a Standard Horizon VHF Matrix AIS/GPS GX2200.  I sail on the great lakes (sometimes at night) and like the AIS.  I've got a RAM mic at the helm.  I've also got a hand-held as a backup...

...but a handheld as a primary is certainly an inexpensive way to go...limited range and you don't to find you're out of battery in an emergency situation.

Hope it helps.
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II Hull 1494 (Built 2000)
Toronto, CANADA

anaisdog

Ron, can you send me the article you wrote - anaisdog@yahoo.com?  my wind instrument doesn't work either

anaisdog

there is an antennea at the mast but we don't know if it works, yet.  and i have a handheld, a cell phone and i'll get a solar charger for the cell.  i may not need a fixed but i do need the hole fixed.

thanks for the recommendations

Jim Hardesty

Quotei may not need a fixed

IMHO  a fixed VHF is high on my list for safety equipment.  Being able to use it and hear it at the helm is another safety item.  DSC and AIS are really nice.  I like having the channel usage displayed ie 16 emergency and hailing, don't have all them memorized.  I amazed some friends by talking to a freighter about his and my intentions on a bridge to bridge channel.  Freighters generally won't respond to ch 16 unless it's an emergency because they have to log it in, everyone hates paperwork.  Often happy to talk on one of the other channels. 
Handhelds are great, but have limited range and limited battery time. 
Calling 911 on a cellphone  doesn't get you directly to the Coast Guard and doesn't notify other boats in the area you are in distress.

Just my 2 cents,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Beckie : If you have an an antenna on the top of the mast, you have a coax wire inside the mast and don't need my article.

You need to get someone to do some checking and find out exactly what you have and what is and is not working!!!

Safety wise I would NEVER depend on a handheld VHF.

As far as plugging the old deck antenna hole.  You can always plug it with a stainless nut & bolt (use some butyl rubber/caulk) until the job can be done permanently!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Roland Gendreau

I would recommend getting the mast head antenna sorted out and fixed  so you can have a fixed mount VHF as well as a hand held.  You should also consider getting a cockpit remote mike for it as well. I have my Garmin GPS wired to the radio so my GPS position is not only visible on the cockpit mike but is also sent out with any DSC messages.  One find day, I inadvertently sent out a distress call and the coast guard knew not only who I was but exactly where I was (on my mooring).   It was an inadvertent but very worthwhile test of the radio, GPS and the coast guard's response.
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

David Sanner

I just installed a Standard Horizon 1850G (built in GPS & NMEA2000/0183 compatible) as I already have a AIS setup.  The 1850GWith built in GPS the DSC emergency alert system is ready to go, just sign up for a free MMSI number, enter the number into the radio and you're good to go. ($185 after rebate)

VHF at the masthead seems like the best option but a whip on the stern is a bit easier of an install.

The latest Standard Horizon is the GX2400 w/ AIS as well as (finally) NMEA2000 and NMEA0813 and GPS.  (current price $370)
David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay

waughoo

I'm a big fan of the icom 506.  That said, if you don't already have an AIS, the Vesper Cortex is the cats pajammas as far as radios is concerned.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte