Engine Mounts

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

Randy : Just make the idle at the smooth rpm.  When was the last time (if ever) the valves were adjusted?  Also engine mounts like any other part wear out!!

If you can lift the engine with a pry bar and the engine runs more smoothly - I'll guess that you just might have a bad mount/s?

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Rortega46

Stu, Ron & Jim:  Your comments and the Westerbeke.com service bulletins tell me I have things to do, namely adjust idle up a bit to dampen vibration, tighten/torque motor mount nuts, insure there is a cam shaft drive tang reinforcing sleeve, and check the fuel filter bracket to see if it has a radius or knife bend.  Can't seem to find anything about a factory recall for front engine mounting brackets.  I also need to carefully go through the Critical Updates again to see if something else sticks out since I now know a lot more than when I last looked at it 5 years ago.

I'm now thinking most of my vibration is due to too low idle setting as a result of poorly calibrated tachometer (~200 rpm too low until 2 days ago). Engine runs very smooth above 900 rpm.

I can't overstate how helpful you guys and C34IA are as a resource for keeping things working great.
Randy Ortega
2001 MKII Hull # 1532 M35BC
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA

KWKloeber

Jim

Engine mount bracket or are you remembering the notice about the engine fuel filter bracket? (Bracket cracks at the bend).
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Guys : As I recall the engine bracket cracking was for the M35 engines (MK I boats) and the new brackets have a welded gusset as a brace. 

The fuel filter bracket (I wouldn't think) should influence engine vibration!?

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Ron

Thx for that heads up - I hadn't seen that bulletin.
I just now incorporated it into the SBs on the wiki
https://c34.org/nonWPWik/?title=Manuals#ENGINE_MANUALS

The bulletin covers the M-25XP(C) and M-35(C).

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain