facet pump fittings

Previous topic - Next topic

mdidomenico

i'm working on the fuel part of my engine.  i'm replacing the facet pump, hoses, etc.  one thing i'm not clear about is whether there's a reason the pump has 1/8" fittings when the rest of the fuel system (tank,racor,etc) all have 1/4" fittings.  i'm double perplexed because it seems facet sells the same/similar spec pump with 1/4" fittings, based on this site

http://www.facet-purolator.com/wp-content/uploads/pdfs/2018%20Industrial%20catalog.pdf

but i might be totally glossing over something relevant.  if i was going to reuse the existing hoses/fittings/etc then i could see a reason to stay with the 1/8" fitting, but since i'm not can i "upgrade" to the 1/4" fittings?
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

KWKloeber

You're speaking of the NPT size, not hose size I take it.
No reason to stay with any particular size, boat manufacturers buy the cheapest available part and plus what they can get their hands onto when there are inventory issues.
My engine (the heyday of boat building) had a seawater pump that was originally meant for an Atomic 4, not the M-25.

In a dictionary you'll never find a picture of any boat builder (including CTY) next to 'typical,' 'standard,' or 'always.'
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

mdidomenico

Quote from: KWKloeber on March 09, 2021, 11:07:26 AM
You're speaking of the NPT size, not hose size I take it.

yes, sorry for my lack of clarity.  the theory is to switch to 3/8" hose with 1/4" fittings on the supply side from end to end.  i'm not sure whats on the engine, but at least from the tank to the pump to the racor filter

seemed silly to drop back and forth to 1/8" fittings.  but i get your point about boat builders.

1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

KWKloeber

Roger on that.
Post the pump number when you decide!
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Mdid: There is 3/8" fuel hose from the tank thru the Racor Filter to the engine filter.  The fuel return line engine to tank is 1/4" hose.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788