Would you sail with crack in mast step? *Update - replaced the step*

Previous topic - Next topic

Stucker

Wondering your thoughts on continuing to use a mast step that has a crack under one of the 4 bolts?   The replacement has to be modified to fit and also needs new holes drilled.  I wish it was as easy as buying a new one and swapping it out. 
Scott Tucker
2003 C34 MK II
Hull #1654
Toronto/1000 Islands

KWKloeber

Scott

Have you considered having that one welded?  I presume that it could be.
I'm shocked that there's only two lags- there's four on our C30 steps.
I don't know the configuration on the 34 but IIWMB I'd be looking at whether I could weld-fill those and space out four. Obviously that's belt n suspenders but would alleviate any future concern, which would eat at my soul having found the crack on the only line of defense.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

WAIT. huh?
I just took a close look at your pics. Why did CTY not use the inner holes??
Is there something specific to the 34 where they could not be lagged.   That's the typical way to mount a step and I see is how the step that CD has is mounted.
What am I missing?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Jim Hardesty

QuoteHave you considered having that one welded?  I presume that it could be.
I'm shocked that there's only two lags- there's four on our C30 steps.

Scott,

My mast is up so can't really tell, but here is a picture of under the mast step/ compression post.  As you can see Shamrock has 4 bolts that I assume go through to the mast step.  If you don't have 4 suggest you call Catalina and ask if there should be 2 or 4.
The way I understand it modifying the new mast step is just cutting the corners off.  Possible with a careful hacksaw, easy for any machine shop.  I also think that welding is a fine fix. 
To answer your question if I would sail with the crack.  If I saw it midseason, yes I would, it's in compression and trapped by the mast.  I would fix by welding or replacing next time mast was off. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

KWKloeber

Jim

Although I agree the crack isn't fatal (it appears to be on the outer flange and not continuous thru that side the step) there has to be a horizontal reaction at the step when under sail. Otherwise the base of the mast would kick off the coach roof. There's no moment because the mast is a hinge, but there's horiz force.

Stucker

There are 4 bolts going through.  The picture looks wonky on here.  One bolt is hidden under wires and you can see the aft bolt if you look closely.

Quote from: KWKloeber on October 17, 2020, 08:13:10 AM
WAIT. huh?
I just took a close look at your pics. Why did CTY not use the inner holes??
Is there something specific to the 34 where they could not be lagged.   That's the typical way to mount a step and I see is how the step that CD has is mounted.
What am I missing?
Scott Tucker
2003 C34 MK II
Hull #1654
Toronto/1000 Islands

KWKloeber

Ohhh ok. I see those now Scott. Thx for the call out.
I wouldn't think it's a must do then but a should do.  Pull it and get the crack V welded and ground flush again.

Use electrician's putty to seal around the cables.

scgunner

Scott,

I'm not sure what your question is about? You've got a crack in your mast step that you're concerned about. If the mast was up it might be a discussion worth having. Your mast is down which gives you access to the offending part, wouldn't this be a good time to fix it? Weather the fix is weld or replace it seems like this is the time to do it.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Ron Hill

Scott : I'd agree with Kevin that with the mast removed I'd get it repaired with extra buildup on the outside. 

The step is an aluminum casting that does not flex and it is mounted on a surface that is not perfectly flat and slightly compressible!!  It appears to me like the bolts have been overtightened and/or unevenly tightened causing the casting to try to flex!!  Those 4 bolts appear to be inplace just to prevent any lateral and/or longitudinal movement of that step and can be easily overtightened. 

You might check with Gerry Douglas and see if my analysis is correct so you don't screw up the repaired step casting when you reinstall it.

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

Stucker

Thought I would share my experience replacing the mast step on my 2003 MkII.   Removing the three bolts around the step was challenging thanks to the aft bolt that was pretty much seized.   Catalina Direct no longer stocks the mast step for an in mast furling MKII.   After a call to Catalina they told me to try Sparcraft in North Carolina.   Sparcraft were great to work with and found the the part ($200 USD) but informed me that it would have to be cut in order to fit the halyard plate.  Catalina modified the part when they were building the boats.   They offered to cut the step and have it re-anodized for an extra $400 USD.  They also wanted to me to ship my old step down from Canada so they could match the holes that were added after Catalina modified the original.  I decided I could do it for less.    I just ordered the part and found a custom welder in Toronto that could cut the corners and drill the holes on the new part.  I also had them rebuild the old one (as a backup).   I then had the 2 steps stripped and anodized here in Toronto.   The welder was able to rebuild the old one but you will notice that the rebuilt area turned black after anodizing.  I was warned that this would happen.   It cost me $300CDN total to modify the new and rebuild the old including anodizing.  It sure looks like the old one had some serious corrosion around the bolt holes which must have played a role in how it cracked.   I wonder if Catalina skipped the anodizing after they reshaped and drilled the step or if it was just the reaction between the aluminum and stainless bolts?  Between the new and the backup I'm hoping I'm covered for the rest of my time with the boat.   

Scott Tucker
2003 C34 MK II
Hull #1654
Toronto/1000 Islands

Jim Hardesty

Scott,
Looks like you are all set.  FWIW  The first season with Shamrock had a problem with the drain slot at the mast base and step being plugged, helped to clear with wire and enlarge a little.  Over the first winter unsteped the mast and just about doubled the size and length of the drain slot.  That fixed the problem. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA