Reverse Polarity Indicator Wiring

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

Paul

I suppose it's personal taste, but I prefer to have the shore power light on the hot side of the breaker instead of the load side.  I know when my breaker is on or off, but I like the telltale of seeing that I have incoming shore power.  Perhaps two lights?  I wonder if there's some kind of bi-color LED option.  Like green w/shore power, turns amber or whatever when the breaker is closed.

When you revamp, will you switch to an ELCI breaker?

Do you know why there's a resistor inline w/the bulbs?  I don't see a reason, but I'm not a sparky.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

Paul. Oh also.
Nitpicking again but you can't have the load side of your breakers (receptacles, WH, etc) connect back up after those breakers. There's separate feeds to the hot terminal block.

When crafting a schematic I like to show (whenever possible) the connections where they actually occur. Sometimes you can't depict that, but I try to. Example- the incoming green LED would probably be connected to the main breaker terminals, not spliced into a wire.  Electrically identical, but 10 years down the road it might make troubleshooting easier on the brain cells.
I know, nitpicking.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

britinusa

Ken, good points.

I like your idea of having the Green LED indicate that Shore Power is connected to the boat ie. Plugged in! An easy change.

Yes, the wires will connect to the breakers and not be spliced.

I was not changing out the Dual Circuit breaker. But I am replacing the lead Outlets (Port & Stbd) for GFCI.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

britinusa

Modified as per Ken's suggestions.

Thanks Ken!
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

britinusa

Well spotted Stu.
We do, but not what one would guess.

The Freedom Inverter is controlled by the Link 2000 system, Not by the 'Inverter' circuit breaker.

The 'Inverter' circuit breaker does not have a connection on the switched side.

We do have a 2nd inverter 400w. It's located in Aft Cabin. Used to charge the Handheld VHF, Winchrite, and Dyson Vacuum cleaner.

Not sure why the 'Inverter' circuit breaker is there! I'm making a connection between it and the terminal blocks simply to allow for any future use, can't think of any right now.

I spent quite a while figuring out what it was for. PO didn't know either.
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Ron Hill

Guys : I believe that the reverse current polarity circuit may have changed from the 1987 (fused) electrical panel and the 1988 (circuit breaker) Main electrical panel!!

So for the 1988 and later panels AC electrical wiring, look in your owners manual (1988 @ page 4.2.6)

A thought
Ron, Apache #788