Water Pump Studs

Previous topic - Next topic

Switchback

Ahoy everyone!

I'm replacing my Oberdorfer water pump with the same, and I've seen many threads on this. My question, however, is what would you recommend replacing the studs with? I've seen anywhere from stainless steel bolts with the heads cut off to silicon bronze studs. The previous studs are garbage. Any help would be great! Thanks!
S/V Switchback

Noah

Check with Ken Kloeber. He has a kit that worked well on mine.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Switchback

Noah, what is included in the kit? Do you think it is temporarily (2 days of sailing) okay for me to get M6 stainless bolts, cut the heads off and apply anti seize?
S/V Switchback

Noah

Should work fine! Use nylock nuts. Basically same as KK's kit.
Standard Rig

Noah

Oppps! Sorry for the bad info!
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Yah need double-ended studs to have a shoulder to tighten them down against the gear cover.  If not there's a possibility (very slight) that when nutting down the pump the stud could back down into the gear cover, potentially interfering with the drive gear on the camshaft.  Slight possibility, seeing that you're lock-tight ing them in, but I'm just saying.....

Should work fine!

Negatory mon ami.  Not the same.

They're unequal, double-ended, 6mm-1.0 x 32mm studs (avail at a good hardware store like most ACEs, but not in stainless.)
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain