Outboard mount weight limit

Previous topic - Next topic

skyward

We just made our own stern rail motor mount using 2 x 1" pieces of starboard. I modeled the basic design from oher posts. We have a 9.9 Yamaha 4-stroke, and we raised he motor onto the mount today. We found that the stern pulpit is just not strong enough for that weight without a support piece being installed.
Jeff Lukowski
1996 Catalina 34 MkII
Tall Mast, Wing Keel, 35# Mantus M-1, M35 Universal
"Skyward", Hull #1307

Ron Hill

Jeff : Would the stern rail be stronger if you moved the outboard mount to the outside of the "perch" seat??

A thought?
Ron, Apache #788

skyward

Quote from: Ron Hill on September 22, 2020, 02:50:18 PM
Would the stern rail be stronger if you moved the outboard mount to the outside of the "perch" seat??

Our 1996 MkII has the stern pulpit from a later model (after 1996). I don't think the outboard motor mount that I built would fit anywhere else. The motor was held in place fine, but touching the railing and giving it a slight tug demonstrated how flimsy the 1" pulpit is. I wouldn't trust my motor on it under any dynamic load conditions. Remember, my motor is in the 90 lb range.

I just purchased a pulpit support from Garhauer, and after I install it, I'll post a picture.
Jeff Lukowski
1996 Catalina 34 MkII
"Skyward", Hull #1307

skyward

Project is finished. I appreciate the c34 project page for the initial idea. Here's what I did:

I used 2 x 1" thick pieces of starboard (8"W x 15"L). I took a 1" DIA round router bit to create the grooves that secure around the horizontal pulpit rails. Then I countersunk my hardware to secure it. I bought the DINGHY DAVIT PIVOT BASE DD - PB 1.0 from Garhauer and then cut it to length, and secured it with some butyl tape and hardware. Now the project is done, and I like the final results. I should be able to mount my Yamaha 9.9 on this without concern.

NOTE: My 1996 MkII has a pulpit from a newer year. The original was damaged in hurricane Sandy and replace by the PO with the newer pulpit.
Jeff Lukowski
1996 Catalina 34 MkII
"Skyward", Hull #1307

Ron Hill

Jeff : I failed to mention that on the MK1s, the outboards have been mounted over a vertical post in the pushpit and near the attachments for the Guarhaauer lift.  I also made my outboard "pads" out of starboard.

Looks like you did a great job!   :clap

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788