Access Panel in Head

Previous topic - Next topic

britinusa

Here's an idea that I use.
When I replaced the Engine Raw Water Filter I purchased 3 of them. The 2nd is used for our Air Conditioner Raw Water and the 3rd is a spare.
If we ever had an issue with the Engine Raw Water Filter housing, I have 2 that I can use to quickly replace it.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Ron Hill

Jon : That Jabsco Strainer comes with the course #20 filter.  I was the one who recommended that the finer #40 replace it just so it would add extra protection for the pump. Wanted to make darn sure there was no back flow of the shower drain water!!  Easy to clean (hair & fuzzywasies).

I did the same fine mesh for the fresh water filter under the galley sink - just extra protection for that pump!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Jon W

The Jabsco Pumpgard In-Line strainer PN 36200-0000 (3/4" in/out hose barbs) comes with a 20 mesh strainer (coarse).

A 40 mesh strainer is the finer screen. Do you mean that you suggested replacing the coarse 20 mesh SST screen with the finer 40 mesh SST screen?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Ron Hill

Jon : You are correct.  I got the numbers of the course and fine filters mixed up - which I corrected.  Sorry About That !!   :?

The only course mesh filter I use is on the raw water.  Just thought the fine mesh would continually clog up so let the raw water strainer with the course filter.

My mistake! 
Ron, Apache #788

Jon W

No worries. I filter water into and out of the tanks, so not too concerned about debris other than hair.

Since the raw water strainer has come up a couple times now, I removed the raw water strainer that was attached to the sea cock and replaced it with a Vetus FTR140/16 mounted on the bulkhead close to the water line height. It has a larger surface area that is easier to clean out, no loads applied to the sea cock from loosening/tightening to clean the screen, straight shot to unclog the thru hull if needed, and because of the transparent removable top I can quickly and easily do a visual check for debris and the flow strength of the raw water going to the HX. While in there I added a 12" LED strip light to help my old eyes :D. (The photo's are before I installed the "hump" hose).
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Ekutney

PO added double doors behind toilet.   Amazing how much space is available.  I like the holes for ventilation.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

britinusa

Jon, can you provide a few more pics of that water strainer (Vetus FTR140/16 ) that looks like a really good solution.

If our Raw Water intake is blocked (baggy, grass, etc) I have to disconnect the hose that connects to the thru hull and use a rod to clean anything from the intake. Your solution appears to setup such that you only have to take the lid off of the strainer and use a rod to clear. I'm guessing that the strainer is high enough that very little water overflows when the lid is removed (assuming the thru hull to be opened)

Paul.
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Ron Hill

Paul : I caulked a round bronze strainer to the hull outside - of the raw water intake.  NEVER had a eel grass, hydrilla problem stoppage again.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jon W

Hi Paul, I don't have any other photos. That's pretty much the setup, but I can take some Monday if it would help. What do you want to see?

After unscrewing the transparent lid, it is a straight shot thru the strainer, hose, seacock, to the outside of the boat. The "WL" on the bulkhead shown in the photo identifies the Water Line. I wanted to keep a flooded suction without overflow, but I installed the strainer a little too low so do get some overflow with the seacock open. Very small amount of water, and I can always close the seacock. Another option is to change the inlet hose to one that's an inch longer. I believe this is a much better raw water strainer and setup than the OEM version with the smaller strainer mounted directly to the seacock.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

ChrisOB

Noah- Did that door behind your toilet come with hinges?  I just purchased 2 of the 12" from SeaTeak, and no hinges or latches.  Wondering if I now need to router this frame and door to get hinges and catches on it. 
1986 MK1 Tall rig/Fin Keel #247

Noah

No hinges included. I bought hinges from Defender and my second set from Amazon. No router work required. Just make sure the "offset" matches your door. They make both 3/8 and 1/2 in.
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=2071223
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

ChrisOB

Ah thank you.  I would think the offset would be measurement "E" in the photo.  Oddly, these are advertised as 1/2" offset, but the E measurement is listed as 3/8".  I am feeling a little dumb here.

1986 MK1 Tall rig/Fin Keel #247