Access Panel in Head

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

Anyone put an access panel in seat in the head?
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Dave Spencer

Not yet but it's on the plan for a small winter project.  Several years ago, I put an access hatch in the wall behind the toilet seat lid.  It's amazing how much space there is back there.  We stowed at least 6 full size rolls of paper towel plus toilet paper for the whole summer with room to spare. 
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Cliff : Look in the old Mainsheet tech notes (early 1990s) and you'll find my article on extra Head Storage (w/pictures)!!!

I installed a 8" Beckson port under the teak seat in the head and another Door/frame the same size as the factory door (toilet paper holder compartment). That new door is behind the head seat - I used a small plastic waste basket as a liner/holder inside that door!!

Guys, there are all kind of C34 modifications made over the years in the Mainsheet tech notesHowever, you have to read them and then decide if you want to copy them on your boat!?!   :thumb:

I see that Noah has read my article - good for him!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Dave Spencer

Nice Noah.  Your access hatch behind the head is much more attractive than mine but I imagine function is the same. The space back there is amazing. The Beckson Plate on the shower seat is next.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Jon W

I added an 8" Beckson earlier this year. Lots of project ideas in the Tech WIKI also.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

crieders

Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Ron Hill

Guys : I also made a cutout on the opposite side (starboard) of the boat.  Behind the Aft cabin seat cushion - I store light line in bundles.  Used a similar trim like that used behind the salon back cushions!!  Extra storage  :thumb:

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Geoffreykwright

I like the Beckson on the shower seat.  Does it just facilitate access to the space below?  I can get in there thru the door under the head sink, but this looks WAY easier.
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II Hull 1494 (Built 2000)
Toronto, CANADA

Jon W

It gives easy access to the area under the seat, and better access to the shower sump/drain pump. To keep stuff under the seat from sliding into the pump/motor and seacocks I added a removable divider.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Ron Hill

Jon : It looks like you or a PO put a strainer in the shower sump line that I recommended (Mainsheet tech note article) many years ago!!
Good for you   :clap   
That strainer keep all the junk from clogging up the one way valve that stops the water from back flowing up the drain. You'd be surprised how much stuff that strainer catches!!

A thought   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Roland Gendreau

Can you point me to where I can find such a strainer?
That would save me some digging time.

Roland
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Jon W

The strainer in my photo is a Jabsco Pumpgard In-Line 20 mesh strainer PN 36200-0000 (3/4" in/out hose barbs) that I purchased from a local San Diego marine store a few years ago. There's also a 46400-0000 with a different shape and a 40 mesh strainer available.

Check your local marine store, or a search of the 36200-0000 on-line shows it's available on Amazon, Defender, Fisheries Supply, Go2Marine, West Marine, etc...
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Roland Gendreau

Thank you Jon!   
I would think the coarser 20 mesh should be adequate in preventing pump issues.
Has that been your experience or would you recommend the 40 mesh?

Roland
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Jon W

For this application I believe the 20 mesh is fine. It's purpose is to keep the big stuff like hair from entering the pump. There shouldn't be much else in the shower drain. Others may feel different.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca