Below deck autopilot install

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

QuoteIt's an Edson tiller arm, a Raymarine EV100 ram and a Catalina 34 hull!

I'm just hoping someone's done it before and has got pictures of their final solution

There's information here somewhere.  Need to search.  What I remember, and why I went with the wheel pilot, is that on a MKll the aft water tank needs to be removed to make room for the tiller arm and ram.  Do remember someone modifying the water tank to make room for the ram.
Hope that helps,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Noah

I probably went "overkill" because my first install done by someone I hired and didn't supervise  :cry4` very well well. That install self-destructed and fell apart while single handing on a trip. The hydraulic ram remained attached to the tiller arm, but not to the hull, because the mount tor off the hull. The ram was dragging around in the bilge. Consequently it resulted in no autopilot (duh!). I could hand steer the boat...but I was only able to make turns to Starboard as the ram kept jamming against the hull and hoses, etc. wen turning to Port. I managed to get to an anchorage, at which point I removed the aft bulkhead and water tank to discover the damage and disconnect the ram from the tiller arm. All-in-all, not a fun trip!

My next/current install, while maybe overkill, is working well and should last the life of the boat. Knock on teak!
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

waughoo

Noah's tale of his previous install is exactly why this is a custom project.  Catalina yachts themselves said they had not really built the 34 with a below deck autopilot in mind, thus provisions for an install were not made from the factory. 

I can understand the frustration of what likely started as a simple idea that has now turned into a large project.  As Noah's story illustrates, doing it less than needed has its consequences.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

KeelsonGraham

Quote from: Noah on January 17, 2023, 05:39:34 PM
I probably went "overkill" because my first install done by someone I hired and didn't supervise  :cry4` very well well. That install self-destructed and fell apart while single handing on a trip. The hydraulic ram remained attached to the tiller arm, but not to the hull, because the mount tor off the hull. The ram was dragging around in the bilge. Consequently it resulted in no autopilot (duh!). I could hand steer the boat...but I was only able to make turns to Starboard as the ram kept jamming against the hull and hoses, etc. wen turning to Port. I managed to get to an anchorage, at which point I removed the aft bulkhead and water tank to discover the damage and disconnect the ram from the tiller arm. All-in-all, not a fun trip!

My next/current install, while maybe overkill, is working well and should last the life of the boat. Knock on teak!

Yeah, I read that Noah. We're aiming to replicate your level of 'overkill'. I was hoping someone might have done this already with a Raymarine arm.

We, think we've found enough space to do this by mounting the arm upside down. At the moment, it looks like we don't need to reshape the water tank. I'd still love to see some pics if anyone has done the same.

The alternative, which a guy called Graham describes somewhere on here, is to mount the ram longitudinally by bolting it to the underside of the sugarscoop. But that does need the tank to be reshaped. Plus, I'd like to avoid putting bolts through the hull structure.
2006 Catalina 34 Mk II. Hull No:1752. Engine: M35 BC.

LogoFreak

Progress update.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

Jon W

Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

LogoFreak

No, just some fiberglass sheet I had laying around.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

LogoFreak

Progress has been made  :clap
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

LogoFreak

3 layers of 1708 on tonight. Final pieces going on tomorrow evening. Saturday should be drilling holes for the ram and mounting it.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

LogoFreak

Progress is painfully slow, very limited free time so it's been painful.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

LogoFreak

It's mounted now! About 80% done. Need to limit rudder travel to +/- 35°, mount the rudder reference sensor and run the wires to the acu. Getting really close to sea trials.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

waughoo

This is VERY exciting news Logo!!! 
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Jon W

Do you have a photo of the other side of your vertical web?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

LogoFreak

Not at the moment but I can to take one tomorrow and post it. It's no different that's the front, except a bit of a steeper angle.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

Noah

Logo-
Did you put any glass down on the hull to beef it up BEFORE you glassed the triangular right angle "blade" to the hull? Also, did you add any foam spacer between it and the hull to mitigate the possibility of a "hard spot", or point loading occurring where blade meets the hull?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig